Accessibility Questions Related to Cruises

From a community member:

I have mobility issues, wear hearing aids, and use oxygen. How realistic is it to believe my husband and I could go on a cruise?

And if it is realistic, how realistic is it to think we might be able to get an Alaskan cruise this Christmastime? Before or after, but around that time. Thank you so much!

If you can get to the port where the cruise is, it is very doable. I don’t have oxygen, but I do have hearing aids and a power wheelchair. You would need an accessible room. There is a form you would need to fill out explaining your issues, including the oxygen and mobility device. Happy cruising!

Very doable. Especially if you rely on the smaller oxygen setups. Find out if the ship has the ability to refill the tank or if you need to have a back up one.There are some ports you might not have the ability to access due to your mobility. In and out of small skiffs to get to shore etc.

1 Like

The cruise season in alaska is may to September, so a Christmas cruise is not an option,

1 Like

I cruise all of the time and have not had any begative issues. One fruebd had CPAP machine and no issue. My ither friend has severe COPD with oxygen 24/7. She arranged pre-cruise go have sufficient tanks delivered to her stateroom. I do mit remember who ste ysed but try Special Needs at Sea as I use them for scooter on all of my trips. Ttey have a website and it is user friendly. Also I akways take one of.ttr power strips with ne fir use in my stateroom because most don’t have but one double outlet. If tte cendir I mentioned doesn’t do oxygen I am sure they would ne able to refer you to a source.
I did 2 week trip to Alaska with 1 week on ship and 1 week island .and would go again in a heartbeat

1 Like

I use a manual wheelchair. We cruised with Holland America during the first half of September. That was their last cruise of the season. The wheelchair accommodations are first rate. Roll-in shower, tub and dressing table. Bed at a good height. Wheelchair accessible balcony. Most of the ports were accessible.

Extremely doable for both of you but as others have said they don’t do Alaska cruises in the winter. If you can wait till springtime it is so worth it. My wife and I did one three years ago and loved it (I am a full time wheelchair user and had no problem whatsoever) We cruised with Celebrity

I cruise on Carnival and Princess with severe mobility issues, diabetes and renal failure. I just got off a cruise this past Saturday. As long as you can get to the cruise port than cruising is easy with handicaps including what you listed. As book a fully accessible cabin at an interior, ocean view, balcony or suite. I use my electric scooter and wheeled seated walker to get around in the cabin and the ship. Your cabin is set up with a roll in shower and grab bars. The cruise staff and guest access will be very helpful. Now the bad news the Alaska cruise season is May through September. Sorry no Christmas time cruising up there.

Very very doable. Cruises are quite handicap friendly. Wheelchairs, scooters, C-Paps, oxygen tanks, service dogs, all welcome.
The most challenging part is getting to the port.

All that said, there are no Alaska cruises between late October and April. Too much ice.

The cruise part is very doable. A friend with the very same set of disabilities that you list is currently cruising to Bermuda as I type. It’s likely easier than flying.

Are you using a wheelchair? Electric or manual? My electric travel wheelchair can fit through the stateroom doors but my regular electric wheelchair will not.

Both my husband and I are disabled; I’ve been disabled since 1983 and we have been cruising since 1984 on Princess Cruise Lines and love it, wouldn’t travel any other way. Love the food, entertainment and the sights and our hotel room (ship stateroom) comes with us lol.

1 Like

I’m a c4-c6 incomplete Quadriplegic. I also have sleep apnea. I always get an accessible balcony room. The most difficult part is finding a cruise with a good room available that is accessible. They seem to get booked up very fast. The balcony rooms are awesome because they have a built-in ramp to get over the sliding glass door. The balconies are also oversized. If you request an extension cord they will bring it for your CPAP. Do you want to do that ahead of time. I have only cruised on Royal Caribbean but I am going on a celebrity cruise in January. Getting around the ship is a breeze. All of the staff has always been extremely willing to help.

We did 11 days on Norwegian in Feb. First cruise since my husb suffered a stroke. Balcony is essential so the companion person can get outside if/when the other person is resting. take extra extension cords. we didnt realize and rented a manual wheechair, not good as the ship has many metal thresholds which are difficult to navigate. make sure ahead of time that your stateroom can accomodate your wheelchair as it must be stored inside with you. Also talk to the excursion folks ahead of time re travel distance to the bus/van/etc. some of the ports are a long walk from the ship through the cruise line’s area, they can help you arrange trans. Have fun !!!

1 Like

Not at Christmas but we went in the spring and it was a good deal. We used Norwegian out of Seattle. If you are in a manual wheelchair be aware that Seattle is SUPER hilly. From the dock we found a car parking garage that had an elevator to the main level of town, it saved my husband’s back.

One thing to check out is whether the port is close to town. Also does the boat dock near town or is it tender port. I could not do a tender port.

We got an Accessible cabin with an extra large balcony. I spent some good time out there reading and sightseeing. The show area was accessible.

1 Like