Accessible bed height in hotel rooms

Bed height has become a major stressor in my travel. Height of the bed used to never be an issue. My major concern was a flip down shower bench in the shower. I don’t travel a great deal so I’m not really sure when this happened.

The last hotel I stayed at was a bad experience. I had sent a picture showing a yardstick and the 26" height of my home mattress and my knee right next to it while seated in my manual chair.

When I arrived, hotel mattress was way too tall, had a very cushy top and some kind of side board frame that kept me from getting right up next to the mattress to transfer… NOT good. I called to have it lowered and they basically put the mattress on the floor. Again, NOT good. They finally ended up with the mattress on some type of plastic crates. Closer to right height but side rail and cushy top still made transfer very awkward and very stressful since I was traveling alone.

Any hopes of getting a standardized height for beds?

1 Like

I tend to find the beds too low. Getting out of it is a struggle.

2 Likes

I’ve had them take the wheels off of the bed. It helps. Once a travel companion just did it himself.

We have a timeshare thru Holiday Inn. Their beds are so high (as you described) that I have to throw myself in face first and then adjust! No hope of sitting on the side of the bed wo sliding off. Same thing when we recently stayed in an HI hotel!

1 Like

I too have frequently had trouble with hotel beds. I am non ambulatory but can stand to transfer. I can sleep with the mattress on the floor and have done so many times, however if the bed is
too high and cannot be taken off its frame I’m often out of luck. To Help solve the problem problem, each accessible room should have a bed that can be taken off it’s frame so that you can sleep on the mattress and Box Springs on the floor, and also have available the risers that are used with some beds and can make the bed higher for those who need a higher bed.

1 Like

Bed heights are also a MAJOR issue for me. I travel a lot and use a power wheelchair without the elevating option. While I have found that most budget hotels still have low bed heights, all the mid-range and higher hotels have high beds these days. I cannot vault up on top of those beds! Most often I have to have the “engineers” (what they are calling the maintenance guys) come to the room and remove the box springs. Then the bed is usually too low, but it it is doable-- just barely. And if you arrive late and there are no engineers on duty, good luck. At one big chain (Hilton or Hyatt, I can’t remember which), their only answer to me not being able to get into the bed was to bring in a rollaway bed for 2 nights because they had no engineer who could take out the box springs. I LOVED paying the gigantic hotel bill to sleep in a rollaway (yes, that’s sarcasm). I understand that high beds make it easier on the housekeeping staff and that’s fine, but the rooms specifically identified as “accessible” rooms should ALL have the low regular-style beds. And, it makes no differene at all whetehr you call in advance and explain what you need. They won’t fix the bed until you get there and ask in person. I’ve been saying this on every hotel survey I can find for more than 12 years now and nobody’s listening.
Here’s hoping somenody with some power in the industry gets sent this whole thread and they listen!

2 Likes

Add me to the list of those who find the beds too high! If my hubs did not usually travel with me, I would be up the creek. I often do request a step stool–it seems most hotels have them. Works OK.

Wishing you good, safe travels!

I have had different experiences by hotel chain. Any hotels in the IHG group are uniformly horrible with accessibility, not just bed heights but many other issues they are unwilling to address. On the other hand Home 2 Suites by Hilton have been great with bed height and some are good with showers. I have had some good experiences with Hyatt.
40 years ago when I first started travelling Holiday Inns were accessible, now they are the worst.
It would be nice if the ADA governance board would stop ignoring this issue.

1 Like

I also find the beds too low. I have problems standing up from sitting.
Also find cushy beds difficult. I understand that wheelchair users need a bed of a certain height, Ans some beds are too high for them.
I think having beds with adjustable heights is a good solution.

2 Likes

I am also having an issue with beds bring too tall. I was at a Hilton in Knoxville and I could not sit on the side of the bed because I kept sliding down because it was too tall and I am 5’8" tall. I called Front Desk and young man told me all of the beds in the hotel were the same and I told him that was the first problem. I tokd him this is supposed to be an accessible room and the bed should be different. Maintenance had gone for the evening so nothing there and they checked their in house gym and found no steps and finally young woman at the desk found a small wooden box in catering and delivered it to my door. I had to use it to get up and into the bed. Once back home I went online and ordered a wooden step from Amazon and a friend added non skid strips to the top so my feet would not slide. I also have a leg lift I ordered from Amazon and between the step and the lift I was able to get onto the bed and then lift my legs over to the middle of the bed. I just decided I would have to travel with the step. At the Hilton I did happen to be in the elevator with a Maintenance guy and he had heard about my issue and had put in an order for some stepstools that morning.
I had a rather long chat with the GM and told him that I knew they would soon be undergoing a total re-do of their hotel and I told him I didn’t care what regs and rules said but they should have someone who is physically handicapped on the renovation committee. I told him something might look good on paper but totally not work for those who need it.

3 Likes

Awesome idea! I too have slight mobility issues and find it difficult to stand from seated. Lower beds might help the wheelchair folks but would devastating for me.

2 Likes