Accessible Family Restrooms

From a community member:

I hate that we can’t go out to eat because of the facilities. My husband is disabled and I can’t go into Men’s restroom, and he won’t go into women’s.

I would love to see it become mandatory that all public places have a family restroom.

Can I get some direction on how to promote family restrooms? It would open doors for us to visit restaurants etc.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome, I would love for this to happen as well perhaps we should all have a chat and come up with a plan present it to the ADA and make it a law I’m sure there’s lots of us who will be willing to sign a petition and I’m sure we all have friends or know others who will be happy to sign. It’s time other organizations and public places need to think of people with disabilities we are consumers as well it’s time they see us and hear us we are invisible and we need to let them know we are here. Keep me posted and others as well thank you God bless

2 Likes

Go back before even the restroom did you know the majority of all Wendy’s restaurants don’t even have handicap parking spots? We think ada is helping us but many times ignores…… restrooms family style is next on my list of wish ada would help.

2 Likes

Phooey on the gender of the bathroom. If your husband needs help you go in to the handicap stall and help. I am an amputee who uses a power chair to get around. I am actually okay once I get in the bathroom, but pushing heavy doors that don’t have automatic access is a pain as is closing and locking stall doors. We just announce that a man is coming in to help his wife and we have never had a problem.

As a community we should write letters to the editor of our local newspapers, especially now that elections are so close, and wonder why our local community is not in compliance with ADA. Make a large point about how the County Commissioner or City Council Members have been involved in certain large construction projects in you area and how they are not compliant and how it affects you and others. Naming names always gets attention. Good luck!

2 Likes

Writing letters to the editor of your local newspapers works much better than a petition, especial this close to elections. Especially if you can name names of local officials who approved local building projects that are not accessible. It is not just just those with disabilities that are affected. All the Moms and Dads pushing infants and kids need cut outs inside walks and handicap bathrooms(with the usual pull down changing tables) and lets not forget the kids on bikes and scooters that use the sidewalks the numbers really grow.

2 Likes

Many places now have non-gendered restrooms, the kind for one person at a time. I agree with the person above that I would just use the room I can get into, and make an announcement if it’s a multi-person room. Then speak with the manager and discuss having just the restroom sign with a man and woman sign on it for both individual restrooms. It would be nice if chains would do this. It might be something an individual restaurant can do without permission.

2 Likes

Promoting family restrooms are easier than you think. First think of all the people who use it besides folks with disabilities. Nationally there are 2 million amputees alone let alone folks with other disabilities. Add in the young families in your area with strollers and carriages.Some local charities might even help you with a letter writing campaign.Write to your Congresspeople and Senators both a local and national level and ask why ADA is over 50 years old and not adequately enforced in your community. Letters to the editor of your local paper are also effective. especially with the elections so close. Make noise.And,do not wait for others to take the lead.It is our duty as citizens to remember that uur elected representatives are jjust that, people who are there to represent our interests. It is our job to let them know in which are they need to improve.

2 Likes

Starbucks does a terrific job. The always one or two family bathrooms large enough for a large power wheelchair to move around. One mayor of New York was taken to task for not having enough public bathrooms in the city. He thanked Starbucks for taking on that roll.

2 Likes

ok thats fine , this why I said lets talk and get something done a plan instead of getting upset we can go on and on its time to work together and get a plan amen

2 Likes

You might check with your local Convention and Visitors Bureau. They might have information on accessible facilities to entice certain groups to come to town for tournaments or conferences. If you encourage your friends and others you know with disabilities to call, you might rock their boat enough to encourage the business community to build accessible facilities.

2 Likes

I have a similar problem with my wife being wheelchair bound. If the bathroom is accessible in the restaurant, I take my wife into the men’s room with a blindfold on until we get into a stall. She was concern at first, but ok with it now. I have also also asked the restaurant manager to close the restroom so we can attend to my wife’s needs and I have never experienced a refusal.

1 Like

Additional note, Starbucks and most Taco Bell’s have accessible bathrooms and they’re one holers. Doesn’t matter who’s needs the bathroom.