Accessible ground transportation in Illinois

From a community member:

I’m having issues with ground transportation in Illinois. I’ve never in my life heard of paying $144/ one way for accessible ground transportation. If anyone knows of any accessible transportation for Illinois that would be very helpful.

I have seen high amounts like that here in the greater New York area. If staying in a single metro area have you considered reciprocal privileges through Paratransit?

Hi! It definitely depends on what part of Illinois you are in and where you are traveling to. In NYC, I have had success with accessible taxis. I paid $75 for one hour trip from JFK to Manhattan, which wasn’t too bad. Depending where you are, buses tend to be extremely wheelchair accessible and would be a more affordable option.

Hi! It’s Pinky, one of your Forum Moderators. I was hoping to share with you that Uber and Lyft had expanded their pilot program for WAV (Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle) vehicles. The good news is, if you’re in Chicago; they have WAV cars you can request through the App. Sadly, the bad news is Uber has not expanded their programs since their original launch (years ago…shame shame).

However, Lyft does help at least provide a list of some alternative options for Accessible transportation in the state:

This is definitely not exhaustive, just a starting place. If you let me know more specifically what area you are in, I can look into if you have any local paratransit transportation, which is usually either free or very discounted.

I hope this helps a little or that one of my fellow responders advice does for you; but we are here for you if you need more help.

Be well and safe travels my friend,
Pinky