Accessible Rooms with Two Beds and Roll-In Showers

From a community member:

Our daughter, 17 years old, is in wheelchair. We have traveled quite a bit this summer and realized that it is nearly impossible to find hotel rooms with 2 beds and roll-in shower. We have been in several states and had the same issue. They have 1 bed with roll-in shower and 2 beds with accessible tub available. But never 2 beds and a roll-in shower, which would accommodate our family of 3 people.

Do you know of certain hotel chains that have this readily available? We tried many of the bigger hotel groups (Hilton, Marriott, etc).

I understand the difficulty of finding proper accommodations.
My wife is confined to a wheelchair and we have 2 kids - male and female.
We love to travel, so our challenge was we actually needed 3 beds and a roll-in shower.

Here’s what we’ve found regarding the subject…
The brand, chain, star rating, etc. does not matter much. It’s all about the particular facility.
I call the site and speak to someone at the front desk. Recently, I’ve been asking them to check for grab bars, roll-in shower die to a couple problems on arrival.
Unfortunately, most chains make you book through their site or call center, so things can get changed in the process.
I recommend calling the site to confirm the accommodations at least a week prior to arrival.

You may try looking for suites. We have stayed in some that have a day bed or fold out sofa. IDK if that would work for you.

1 Like

I personally do not understand why “accessible” tooms hsve bathtubs. I cannit get over the side and always request roll-in shower. Even ny able-bodied friends don’t like bathtubs. I think it is cheaper to use tubs so they do but don’t know how one consisers a tub accessible. I don’t care if it has 20 grab vars it is not accessible. I have also noticed yiu get a king with a roll-in shower but kately I have found two queens at the Hilton brands I normally use.

1 Like

Try a Dury Hotels We have found One there and they have several locations

1 Like

I have stayed in several Home 2 Suites that offer a roll-in shower with a queen or 2 double beds and a fold out sofa.

1 Like

Embassy Suites rooms, normal rooms are about 75% accessable
36" doors low barrier shower. Will need a bench but they have them.
Can get 2 queen beds plus a couch pullout in the front half of the suite.

1 Like

This is my biggest annoyance (ok, maybe not my biggest!) I have even called hotels and had them show me their accessible rooms with 2 beds and they always have tubs. A guest needing a wheelchair so often travels with a companion and in our case my daughter with 2 of us. The last hotel we stayed at let us use the king room to shower and we stayed in the 2 queen room….not the most convenient but it worked that time.

1 Like

I am a power chair using quadriplegic who books a roll in shower. I have a wife and a 14 year old daughter. Whenever I look for a room I always start with Marriott residence inn. They have one bedroom suites with roll in showers. The bed is a queen and there is a pull out sofa.
They also have two bedroom two bath suites as well.

I have had success with Comfort Inn and Suites, Hilton’s Double Tree and Hampton Inn. It really depends upon each hotel’s location. Accessible Go has provided a complete description of rooms offered and confirmation. Most travels sites don’t. I also book direct with the hotel’s web site. These sites will give you a full description of each room offered. I just completed a 5,000 miles rode trip and every room (8 in total) I reserved had exactly what I needed for my wheelchair bound spouse who can’t walk whatsoever. (Double beds and RI shower)

Emily here with accessibleGO!

I have stayed in Marriott’s with the double beds and a roll in shower, but agree with @stephenzimmerman that it often depends on the facility versus the brand. I know many people have great success with Hilton hotels as well. Newer facilities - doesn’t matter the brand - tend to be much more accessible from what I have read. I recently stayed at a Hyatt, and the only rooms with a roll-in shower had a king bed. :frowning:

When you book with accessibleGO, we will call the hotel on your behalf to ensure you’re getting what you need and request. With the filters on our site, you can clearly see what the room and hotel has to offer, with up to 55 filters for accessibility for a hotel.

1 Like

This past Summer we stayed at a Hilton property in Myrtle Beach and called the hotel before booking the room to make sure it had a roll-in shower, and when we got there it had a tub with grab bars. When we complained to the front desk the Assistant Manager (who was trying to be very helpful) checked the room inventory and said that it was listed in their computer as having a roll-in shower. She then took us to a different suite listed in the computer as having a roll-in shower, same problem. Not her fault, but somebody screwed up.

Hey Everyone, It’s Pinky :fairy: again…your other friendly neighborhood Forum Moderator. I wanted to first thank everyone for all of the advice you have shared with our new user; it’s why I love y’all. (Also welcome to Stephenzimmerman).

So I join in with the consensus here about what I have found for Accessible rooms when it comes to double beds. However… I want to help by sharing what I learned when chatting with a hotel planner in regards to Accessible rooms. Roughly, most hotels that have multiple Accessible rooms will generally have the King Size bed in order to leave more room around the bed for access; even when that means leaving the bare minimum ADA regulated room around the beds (uh…have you ever seen those Accessible NYC hotel tombs? How in the He(double hockey sticks) do those room pass ADA inspections?). Or…then some irresponsible interior designer for the hotel throws in extra furniture to fill the now emptier room space, after the architect to the time to carefully plan the space.
Then there is also the issue when those same hotels with multiple Accessible rooms also with connecting rooms, end up placing the other connecting room as the other Accessible room. That’s when you end up with the Accessible King with roll-in shower and connecting Accessible Double with step-in tub with grab bars. Other times, some hotels that also want to have separate rooms that are ADA for hearing impaired will make those the rooms with two doubles and step-in tub. Unfortunately as you have probably noticed in many online reservation systems, they tend not to describe all the equipment and setup in the specific room you want to reserve. Then when you show up, they have now placed you in the exact opposite type of ADA room you needed.
It gets exhausting as you know sorting through every hotel in a city to find that right setup, so honestly I was in heaven when I discovered this website. Even when I couldn’t find the right room in an area, the agents here would keep hunting for me and track one down; then come back with some insanely amazing rate too. Truly they are lifesavers here! Or just like you have done, I reach out to the other members of the Forum when I need help with finding travel help. We have so many thousands of members now that surely someone will be able to help.
In fact, if there is any specific area that you are trying to find right now, just let us know here on the Forum and we will see what we can help you find for the right kind of ADA Double with shower for you? That’s what we’re here for. I wish I could tell you of a specific chain to try, but like many already said; it seems to be a property by property situation with these hotels. Thankfully the country is getting so much better at making sure they have ADA rooms; especially if they are trying to remodel an older hotel, as ADA laws may force them to upgrade and add Accessible rooms they didn’t originally have prior. (Yayyyyy Inspectors!)
We’re here for you. Just let us know and the AccessibleGo Scooby Doo Squad is all over it for you!

Sincerely,
Pinky :fairy: