Airplane bathrooms and wheelchairs

Question from a member of our community:

My teen child uses a wheelchair and we can no longer travel by plane as it is impossible to fit 2 people and a wheelchair in an airplane bathroom. Does anyone have any advice or tips?

Thank you!

It seems like not all airplanes are required to have accessible bathrooms but some are. There’s a website I found that lists the accessible planes and the non-accessible as well.

Here’s a snipit of what it says…

“Wheelchair accessible lavatories are available on many of today’s airplanes, but not every aircraft is equipped. U.S. law only requires airlines to provide an accessible toilet on wide-body airplanes with dual aisles. Wide-body airplanes include the Airbus A330, Airbus A340, Airbus A350, Airbus A380, Boeing 747, Boeing 767, Boeing 777 and Boeing 787. Airlines are required to provide onboard aisle chairs on aircraft with an accessible lavatory.”

There’s more information on the webpage. You can view it by clicking here.

The website is Wheelchair Travel dot org. You can see the entire site by clicking the link.

Hope this helps :blush:

Unfortunately I too am faced with inability to use airplane rest rooms as I cant walk so once in my seat I remain there until wheelchair brought back to me at end of flight. Airlines havent done anything with rest room, seat space,leg room or arm rest to go up even if u were to purchase 2 seats for additional comfort and accomadation for disabled. I have been unable to fly more than 3 hour flight hoping and fingers crossed for no delays. Recently to get to west coast from east coast I found flight of 3 hours with time on ground for bathroom break and a few more flights out that day(in the event of cancellations or delays) Obviously doesnt account for “urgent” needs but use of undergarments may also help. Takes some planning finding Southwest airlines the most helpfull.

If someone has the answer to the question, I would love know the solution. Our answer is to fly only within a three hour window and non-stop flights. Grand Rapids Michigan to Orlando International is perfect. The handicapped family bathroom is right by the gate. We have done this three times. We then go to Disney via their buses with wheelchair lifts.

I have lost both my legs below the knee. What I have learned is I can Walk & Crawl on my hands & knees when needed. I wear Volleyball knee pads and Leather Bikers gloves all the time. This helps me get around as I had more trouble using slide boards & such. I am also able to lift my leg up enough to allow myself to wiggle onto a regular height toilet. I also carry around a folding plastic step stool that helps me get up higher on my knees to be able to get onto those Free Electric Scooters in stores. That way my family gets a break from pushing me. Just remember this, “We may be DISABLED, but that doesnt mean we have to be Handicapped.”