Amtrak cross country

My son who is autistic LOVES trains, and wants me to take him on the L.A. to NYC scenic tour. Has anyone traveled on Amtrak using their accessibility options? Experience, good or bad? Father and son are going to do this.

3 Likes

Following this topic for my own information

I have traveled cross county several times in a wheelchair on Amtrak. The accessible room is the only sleeper room a wheelchair will fit in. If your son is autistic and still able to walk one of the bedrooms may work best, they are more expensive than a roomette but have a private bathroom with shower where the roomette is more confining with the bathroom down the hall.

Jeb Brooks has several you tube videos showing the different amtrak room types he has traveled in

2 Likes

I appreciate everything you said!

1 Like

We have not traveled a crossed country but we traveled down the pacific coast a few years ago. We had a great experience. They used a lift to get my son on the train and the Amtrak crew seemed very knowledgeable and helped when needed. My son who is autistic got a bit restless and I might suggest taking a break or two across country.

1 Like

I should have been more clear, my son doesn’t have mobility issues, I do (ALS with a walker).

Good Evening. Two years ago I did Amtrak Auto Train from outside of Washington DC to Sanford Florida with my walker and wheelchair. I was accompanied by my service dog, Pepper and best friend Suzanne. We had room with two beds (bunk style), private bathroom and meals served in our room. Amtrak staff very helpful and it was a very pleasant 18 hour trip. We were late getting in due to electrical issues along the way.

3 Likes

It has been a few years but I took the Empire builder Amtrak from Chicago to Seattle. It was a lovely trip. I had the handicap accessible room. All meals were included with the room. One person can travel with you for half price as your companion/assistant. The staff brought the meals to me so I did not have to climb the stairs. There is a dining car and an observation car if you want to climb stairs. It does take a couple of days but for me it was well worth it. There is a toilet and sink in the room and a shower right next door.

2 Likes

I have PLS (slower progressing form of ALS,) with a walker the accessible room would work best it has 2 seats that face each other on one side and a toilet and sink on the other. Shower is a few steps away At night the 2 seats became a bed and a bunk comes down above it. (The bunk does have safety straps) if unable to climb stairs the car attendant will bring meals to you

1 Like

Autism Strong Mom!! I’m a Mom if a child with Autism too please id like to know what happens my child would love to ride a train also

1 Like

of course I will give updates

Check on meal options before ticketing. I had heard that Amtrak had done away with dining cars in favor of snacks, and then I had heard that they had brought them back on some lines, and right now I have no idea what they are doing.

1 Like

great idea. I’m pretty sure my son can get around, but I’ll have challenges.

Current menu’s on Empire Builder for sleeping car passengers. We are on train now still

1 Like

My husband and I are both disabled and depend on rollators but can use cans in short spurts. We are very interested in cross country Amtrak travel. Not sure about a bunk for sleeping tho. It would have to be me.

Following

1 Like

I will make sure I document our travels here.

I traveled Norfolk Va to Alexandria Va in 2012. They were terrific to me accomidating for my standard poodle service dog. Placed me in the wheelchair seating since it wasnt occupied.
Conductors do change on longer trips. If Amtrak knows you need accomidation ahead of time it helps especially when changing staff is going to happen.
As far as I know the tracks are in good shape cross country. Not so good on the east coast rout up yo NYC simply used so much.
If I were you, I would do a couple of short trips first to make sure your son can tolerate the rocking and clicking. Maybe an overnight fun trip along the west coast.
Anyway, happy travels.

2 Likes

Have supervisor, will travel! :paw_prints::paw_prints::smirk::smile:

1 Like