Best sightseeing locations in the US for people on wheelchairs?

My adult daughter is in a wheelchair and we are constantly in search of sightseeing and tourist locations in the US that are wheelchair friendly. I am not talking about Disneyland or such. Recently at the San Diego Mission beach the lifeguards loaned us a beach wheelchair and that was great for her. Those folks were awesome.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Grand Canyon in Arizona. The entire south rim is paved right at the edge of the canyon. It is spectacular.

1 Like

Is there any accessible accommodation at Zion National Park? We’re taking our grandkids there in November.

Here’s a link to Destinations with Accessibility, a directory of 143 destination landing pages in the US, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean Islands, that may be helpful. They are supplemented with blog posts from disabled travelers who’ve experienced the destination personally.

You may also like want to subscribe to Accessible Journeys, a free digital magazine we co-founded. https://www.readmelange.com/accessible-journeys/?utm_source=pocket_mylist

Thank you, we did do that. We took the train into the grand canyon and did a portion of the walk you mentioned. We needed a better wheelchair.

I am a C56 quadriplegic. I use a power wheelchair. We rented a wheelchair accessible van in Salt Lake City and drove to Yellowstone National Park. the park is very accessible. All of the major sites have accessible paths using wood planks or paved walkways. Every hotel inside has the appropriate wheelchair accessible rooms. We spent five days there and I got around very well.

1 Like

And a room at El Tovar is great.

Several Michigan State Parks have power tracked chairs… For free!
Just need to reserve them for the date and time you will be going.

If you haven’t been to New York city yet,
there are many hotels with accessible rooms and, as far as I know all the museums are accessible. If you want to take in a Broadway show the theaters usually have a direct number and will sell you disabled seats. The Subway is iffy as many of the elevators don’t work… Busses taxis or Uber are much better alternative. You do not need a car in New York City.

A couple of things: the San Diego Wild Animal Park in Escondido is terrific, as is Old Town Park in the east-central part of the city. Also, New York has accessible taxis that are great. In San Francisco we stayed at Union Square and I rode my scooter around that area, took an architecture walking tour and rode the city bus (all are accessible)back to Union Square. However accessible rides via taxis or ride sharing services are impossible to find, so need to plan the bus routes thoroughly. In Canada, both Vancouver and Quebec are pretty accessible. My formula is to find a hotel adjacent to as many sites as possible so I can just ride my scooter there.Happy trailes!

Ottawa was also pretty good. We visited the mint, a bunch of museums, parliament buildings, etc. In some places like the mint they had wheelchairs to borrow.

Perhaps you can take her on an accessible zip line? Zipline called Grand Vue Adventures in West Viginia–they even have a bouncing strap thing they can strap to a wheelchair and then bounce it. It was my first experience in a wheelchair and I was nervous as a cat- but it was the coolest thing. The Zip line has special bucket chair that feels like a wheel chair–I felt very safe in it and I’m a big girl!

Ahh Yellowstone, that is one place on my bucket list-- I just want to see one of those humongous trees up close and personal–when I get the right power chair like the GRIT wheelchair, I will enjoy navigating on those walkways.

You are confusing Yellowstone with Yosemite. I do it all the time. Yosemite has the 2000 year old Sequoia trees that were in danger of forest fires this year. I have also been to Yosemite and the Sequoia trees are a grand side. Yellowstone is much bigger and therefore there are A ton more walkways and it feels more accessible. Yosemite smaller but spectacular also has many walkways to navigate on a power chair. In 2001, In order to see the Sequoia trees, there is a non-accessible bus so I drove my personal vehicle behind the bus which was no problem for the park rangers.

Subscribe to Curb free with Corey Lee. He has a whole website full of Accessible Locations in the United States.