Can I just say

I have been disabled since 2021. Can I just say how fortunate for me that this group of people exists? You have made it THAT much easier to navigate this world as someone with a disability. I don’t want to run on too long, but can I just say I enjoy all the posts, information, polls, etc. that makes a traveler like me not except a non-traveling life because of my handicap.

4 Likes

I feel the same way!

1 Like

I definitely agree. This is a great resource!

1 Like

YES!! I totyally agree- it has been a Godsend to discover this site exists. I became totally disabled in 2012 and was upset that so many of the things that I enjoy doing as an abled person-horseback riding, physical things like camping, traveling etc would be off limits to me-- I wasnt sure how I would manage any of those things. So I continued to try and hang with my abled friends, but was often left on the sidelines because I couldnt walk as fast or keep up with them. So I lost friends and socialization. Then I started thinking, well I could do things by myself and I began searching and here was this site! AHH A GREAT BLESSING. Many of you know I went to Pakistan for a month-- 8/31 to 9/31, in a wheelchair, as a single older person. It was amazing to find that the airlines have really good people pushing wheelchairs-- so many of them friendly and interested in foreigners-- (of course many are interested in tips!). I brought a manual wheelchair with me too. It got a little roughed up in the handling, but made it to my destination in both places (USA & Pakistan). The Muslim culture doesnt allow women to fend for themselves, so many places I went I was the star-- they wanted their picture taken with a foreigner–( a blond haired green eyed different from them person)–I got into places for free, I got people volunteering to show me around and people buying me food. What an adventure!! I’m planning another trip to Greece & Turkey in the next 9 months.

4 Likes

AMAZING information you have shared with us!

My husband has been handicap since 2013. It has been a new experience for BOTH of us. We learn a lot by doing, of course, but reading on here gives us a heads up. I think we’re getting better at things!

1 Like

Remember that old saying, “You have nothing to FEAR but FEAR itself”? Thats totally true–erase the fear of traveling, be a CAN DO person and do it! Adventure awaits!

2 Likes