Caution when booking hotel with American Express membership reward points!

I booked an accessible room with a roll-in shower at a Holiday Inn Express & Suites online through the AMEX travel site using membership reward points. AMEX apparently uses Expedia to book rooms. Something got lost in translation between AMEX, Expedia, and Holiday Inn Express & Suites. When I arrived, the front desk did not have me in an accessible room with a roll-in shower. Fortunately, the hotel was able to change my room. I got lucky. From now on I will confirm the type of room directly with the hotel after booking online with AMEX

I have gotten where I contact the hotel directly no matter who I book through. I also call a few days before I arrive (2-3 days). They assign rooms the week of the reservation. I have caught several times that they didn’t follow the instructions or they didn’t feel that it was that important.

2 Likes

That is not all that unusual. I booked an accessible room with 2 queen beds and a roll-in shower in February for (adult daughter and me) our stay in early June. Got off of cruise ship only to reach hotel and find no such accessible room available. Seems a guest extended their stay. I blame hotel for not saying sorry but we don’t have a room available as it is already booked. This was not a cheap hotel but top of the line Hyatt Place. I was definitely unhappy and hotel at first wanted my daughter and me to share a king bed but still not a roll-in shower and I refused. They ended up putting us in two rooms with walk-in showers. Room was not accessible and I did request a discount on the nights we were there because my confirmation was not honored. I was not comfortable when using the shower as there were no grab bars. I cannot understand why hotels put bathtubs in accessible rooms and say accessible tub. I’m sorry but you can put 15 grab bars all over the place but I still cannot get over the side of a tub. Even my able bodied friends say they do not want a tub as they want to shower and go whether they are there for business or vacation. I really don’t think most people want to use a tub that has been used by 100’s of their not so close friends as I am not so sure of hotel housekeeping.

1 Like

I absolutely agree with marshhatter. I had the same issue in Southfield MI. They did have another king bed roll in shower but didn’t bother to clean it. I had to wait for housekeeping to go to the room and clean. The stupid part of the situation is they knew the people extended their stay in the room originally allocated to me but didn’t arrange for the other room to be cleaned immediately. Calling the hotel is essential but there are no guarantees