Disabled Family Travel

I have a family of 4, and sometimes more when travel with my granddaughter. I required the use of an wheelchair accessible room with a roll in shower. We also foster a young lady with Cerebral Palsy and Developmental disabilities that requires supervision and can’t be left alone.

The challenge is finding an wheelchair accessible roll in shower room that will sleep.
The second challenge is finding 2 rooms one being an accessible with roll in shower that sleeps 2 and a connecting room.
The third and final challenge when traveling with our granddaughter or if our 13 year old wants to bring a friend is finding hotel lodging that meets all of our needs.

As I all the major house projects are almost done and I’m nearing retirement I plan to travel more and just need lodging. We have went as far as renting entire houses and cabins to meet our needs.

We also plan to try and travel abroad.
I’m hopeful we are not alone in this struggle
Be Well
Ed

1 Like

If you are in the USA, I can recommend Homewood Suites by Hilton. We are staying in one now. Their properties have these features available:

• rooms with roll-in showers
  • rooms with kitchens
  • available adjoining rooms so you can have multiple bedrooms.
  • free hot breakfasts
  • one day per week hot dinner included
  • premium Cable TV (ours has HBO, Disney, and Disney Junior)
  • free internet, which has been very good here
  • guest laundry on-site

There are many locations, all over the USA. Most have free parking.

I would look into renting at B&B’s…having a whole house might be better for you…the shower might still be a challenge

Totally agree with Homewood Suites–or most of the “suites” at major hotel units. Normally there are two bedrooms separated by a lounge/kitchen area. My favorite places to stay. They often get booked quickly so go online and make your reservations.

I know your plight. My family (myself, adult children and adult grandchildren and all of their spouses) like to get away for Christmas. We usually use VRBO or AirBnB to find a hiuse to accommodate our needs with number of people and my need for handicapped accessibility. My daughter usually does that search and starts in furst quarter of tte bew tear for that next December. I just returned from a solo trip where I spent 2 nights in a Hampton Inn in an accessible room. I was terribly disappointed in the room. Due to having had a broken neck repaired and a total reverse shoulder replacement as two of my multiple spinal and/or neuro surgeries, I cannot reach up nor look up to any degree. I had to have a lady from the front desk come in and reach up and get the handheld shower down where I could use it; I would have had to be over 6 ft to reach it. They are now mounting bottles of body wash, shampoo and conditioner on one wall of the shower rather than providing travel size conta7bers. Tgese miubted bittles had oumps on them. Once again they were too tall fir me. I grabbed a paper coffee cup abd tried to use the pump and just prayed the body wash hit the cup when I hit at the pump. I also noted grab vars weee onky installed on tge back abd right walks of roll-in shower. The left wall which held controls had no grab bar. There wss no seat nir chair for the shower and I wss iffy taking a shower in that room. The flimsy shower curtain doesn’t do much fur keeoing tge water from going all over the bathroom floor which is scary because wet floors are slippery. I still am not convinced the commide was handicapped height. I found the one in the lobby restroom to be a better height. I use a walker and due to my spinal and neck issues I can only get into a bed on the right side (standing at foot and my right from that position) and tge soace between the bed and the wall did not allow enough space for my walker to get to that side of the bed. At the built in desk they had placed a tall, 4-wheeled chair. Sorry, but I am not taking a chance that this chair will not fly out from under me as I attempt to sit in it. There was no visible means of locking those wheels. And don’t get me started on the door to/from hallway. I have had several lengthy discussions with various managers at different locations, and yes there is a reason for that heavy door, because fire code requires a fire door, BUT I have told all of them that is all well and good but you must make the door accessible for those of us usibg wheelchairs and/or walkers. I had to back into the door due to its weight. If I am using my powerchair I have a terrible time getting into my room but an even worse time trying to get out. Try sitting in a wheelchair and reaching for door handle only to realize the door weighs so much you cannot stay seated and open it at the same time. It is a really bad situation wten you are traveling solo.
As to family accommodations, I have found Embassy Suites to have great choices. I teserve a rwo bedroom, 2 bath suite. The one bedroom/bath is accessible while 2nd bedroom/bath is not. Hilton also has a Tapestry collection of bigels and I have found thrm to have 2 bd/2 ba options. If you are planning to travel more, may I suggest Holland America cruises. I gind nit onky super accessible accommodations but the staff is so helpful and their public handicapped restrooms are by far the best design I have seen.

1 Like

We have used Drury Inn around the USA and have great luck. The manager at the last one said do call and make sure they know if you have any special needs. They have rooms for sight limited, hearing limited and mobility limited customers. If you travel with kids they have connecting rooms, roll in showers, and even a snack time that we used for early evening meals. Have happy travels.

I have used vrbo for roll in showers . Elevator accessibility. For either homes . Condos. I have also done searches on here for hotels for my wife and i. Blown away by the prices. I simply will not go anywhere else for a handicap accessible hotel