Disney Parks in Orlando

Question from a community member:

What Disney park In Orlando is wheelchair accessible, with chairs available to use, as well as up front parking without using their trolley?

All of the Disney parks are wheelchair accessible and have wheelchair rental available. Ride accessibility varies with some rides having a separate entrance and some requiring transfer. Googing “Disney ride accessibity” will turn up articles with specifics for each ride. I can’t speak to the parking situation since I used the Disney bus system.

2 Likes

Here’s a ride by ride list:

2 Likes

All of the Disney parks are wheelchair accessible and I believe have some there to use/ rent for the day. Not all of the rides are accessible, unless you can transfer. Some rides you are able to stay in the wheelchair, but others, you must be able to transfer. There is ample handicapped parking in all of their lots. It is still a fair distance to walk. All of their buses are also wheelchair accessible if you are staying at a Disney resort. There are several that are nreasonably priced. We stayed at All Star Sports and had a room with a roll in shower, etc. Then we were able to just take bus to any park we wanted. Since their changes in policies about 5 years ago, there is no “pass” for those in wheelchairs to always use the Fast Pass entrance. Everyone must use that system or just wait in lines. The Fast Pass is not an extra cost. Any person with tickets to Disney Parks can use them.

2 Likes

All parks are accessible for wheelchairs and scooters. With handicapped parking insignia you can park closer to front of lot but we still shuttled and as I recall there was no trouble loading my scooter. On one occasion I had a rental scooter from an independent provider and on one time I had my own. The parks have scooters for tent, however, you cannot reserve them so there is no guarantee they will have one available. I was always afraid to depend on there being one available plus I wanted a scooter I could use 24/7 and both inside and outside the park. I always thought it would be my luck that a particular park would have an inventory of 100 scooters and I would be customer number 101. I rented once from a medical related supplier (they delivered scooter to the rental office where I rented the house we were using and I returned it to same where they picked it up; on another occasion I rented from a company that rented scooters and that’s all they did). I also took my own at one point as I have the trailer that attaches to my car using my trailer hitch. Each time I went to Disney World I was more than pleased as the staff went out of their way to be helpful. It used to be much better than now. Years ago if you were handicapped the staff would take you and members of your immediate party to front of the line for rides, etc. But, it seems that in order to avoid lines people were “hiring” people to act handicapped so they could go to the front of the lines so DW ceased moving handicapped to the front. However, staff are always helpful and if a ride began at point A and ended at point B, my scooter would be relocated and waiting on me at point B. They helped my scooter and me onto train (Magic Kingdom), onto monorail (multiple times and locations), onto bus for trip through Serengeti, onto ferry, etc. They helped me on and off any and all rides. It is the most handicapped friendly place I have been.

I hope you enjoy your visit.

Kitty

1 Like

Sometimes if you go to guest services you can receive a disability pass for extra fast pass usage. It depends on the cast member I assume but they are not supposed to ask what the disability is, however they asked us. You use it along with the regular 3 you get but you go to any ride you want and ask for disability fast pass then they tell you a return time to come back it’s between 10 minutes to two hours depending upon the wait for the ride and passes are good for the entire party too. We live here and just learned about this trip so I wanted to share with you all.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing. We have something similar at the Six Flags Parks here in Texas.

My family is hoping to go next year during the Christmas holidays for a week. We want to allow the grandbabies to get another year older.

They are 2 and 4 now with birthdays in May for the 4-year-old so she would be 6 when we go. The 2-year old’s birthday is November 1, so she’ll be 4 if we go next Christmas.

We want them both old enough to enjoy the Cinderella’s castle and the Pampered Princess Makeovers, so, they can dress up like the Princesses. Plus, they should be tall enough to ride the rides by then. They’re both pretty tall for their ages.

If you have advice on where to stay, Resorts wise on Walt Disney World the property so we can use Disney transportation and not have to keep using the car. We will need accommodations for 8 to 10 family members. I realize we will probably have to get a couple of rooms even with the Home Away From Home Suites for families. Although I’m thinking I heard the Wilderness lodge sleeps a lot of people

Thank you in advance for ANY advice you can offer me. I am the one tasked with planning family vacations. Lucky me!

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Jennifer,

The Wilderness Lodge will have accommodation for you in a cabin more than likely but you will need to use bus or boat transportation. If you are mainly interested in Magic kingdom than that would not be so bad. I can give you the passholder line to call Disney directly so that they can give you more options for a party that large. My biggest party is 4 lol. You will want to schedule your Princess Makeovers in advance as they book up fast, they are available at Magic Kingdom and Downtown Disney both. 407-939-7277 and I know that they can give you a few different options for lodging. Another option is a resort on the monorail line if you are going to Magic Kingdom and Epcot mostly it is easy with the wheelchair using monorail over buses in my opinion. Then buses can be taken to Animal kingdom or Hollywood Studios from Magic Kingdom or Epcot. They are also building new gondolas to transport between Epcot and Hollywood studios but I'm not sure when they will be open. I hope this helps.

Dear Christina,

** Thank you kindly for your most helpful information regarding the Walt Disney World accommodations, transportation, and the Princess Makeovers. I am saving this correspondence for use in making our travel plans. I think I read that there is a new resort opening in the fall of this year or 2020 (either way will work for us since we aren’t traveling until the Christmas Holidays of 2020) called the Riviera Resort and that the sky gondolas would be running at the same time from that resort. I could be wrong though.**

** I got an information brochure about the new resort. they listed that they have studio’s, 1 bedroom, 2 bedrooms, and 3 bedrooms suites available. I’m thinking the 3 bedroom suite might accidentally be big enough without needing a second suite. Of course, there is no telling if it’s accessible or how expensive it would be since its the newest resort to open. **

**Again Thank you for the information. **

Sincerely,

Jennifer