Eiffel Tower

Any advice of where wheelchair entrance is at? Bathrooms? Taxi? Any advice is needed.

1 Like

Your question as it relates to where,?

Eiffel tower. I hope that’s visible in subject line.

Sorry. I have no knowledge as to that location.

Hi there. I am a new user and my daughter is on a wheelchair. I have always been curious as to how accessible Europe’s tourist locations are. I saw the following regarding the Eiffel Tower:

Hi Arnieblaze, I’m Pinky :fairy:; one of the Forum Moderator’s. Welcome to the Forum on AccessibleGo. We’re so happy you have joined us.

Wanted to say thank you also to Hussain.peeran for providing the link the official website for the Eiffel Tower; very helpful.

Wanted to share with you what I knew of the Eiffel :fr: and wheelchairs so that you knew upfront what the situation is:
THE GOOD NEWS: Yes, you can get into the tower and they have even adapted accessible bathrooms on the Ground, first and second floors. Tickets for disabled are only 1/4th of the normal prices and can be purchased ahead of visit. (You want to purchase tickets at least 2 months ahead of time to avoid lines; and know that summer tickets are usually sold-out 1-2 months ahead of time.) They even made sure the restaurant and shops are accessible and all on one level to make it easier; as well as expanding the windows for the balustrade on the 2nd floor so you can take in the incredible views. Also they have a special wider lift for wheelchairs to get up and down.
THE BAD NEWS: The second floor is high as you can go in a wheelchair at the Eiffel :scream:. They do not permit chairs to go to the top of the tower for safety reasons. In case of an evacuation (which uses the stairs), there is no way to guarantee your safety to get you down.

I know, this SUCKS! Trust me, I was quite upset myself when I found out. Am grateful that they thought for our safety, but that’s just one of those iconic things you do in Paris. Even if you are able to use a walker/rollator/crutches, I would not advise going up for the same safety reasons with the stairs.

BUT… I would not leave you without a solution…
The Second best views in the city (I think) can be seen from the Arc De Triomphe.; which includes being able to see the Eiffel and the Champs-Elysees. Plus its a fascinating monument itself and probably on your checklist. Here’s what’s even better… This place is Accessible! Not just that, but also free for the disabled (possibly plus+1 for companion if it’s like some of the other museums in France). Those tickets are given at the box office and not available online. If you feel safer buying tickets for any others, you can get them right here..

My other suggestion is probably something also already on your list, the Centre Pompidou. Even if you aren’t into modern art, you HAVE to see this building; it’s so cool. Plus, it’s free for disabled and companions. Not just that, they have special adapted tours available throughout the year (or Free personalized tours) and Priority Access to skip you past the lines. And don’t forget that view on top . They provide a lot of information on their Accessibility page that you should check out. You can take the elevators to the top of the museum to check out the views or on top is a restaurant called Georges (take a dedicated elevator from the 6th floor). They do have a dedicated elevator from the ground floor to just take you to the top for the views if you really want to skip the Centre, but trust me; its so worth it. The art is Fabulous!

I did want to warn you that a lot of the locations that offer the Free access and tours, post that you need to provide “accompanying documents” in order to receive the benefit. Being in a wheelchair, it’s usually hard for anyone to argue about qualifying for these types of access, but since I am not used to dealing with this issue there: I wanted to make sure I let you know that I was seeing that on a lot of websites. May I suggest emailing the ticket offices and asking what type of US equivalent you can use in place of one of the documents they list:
“Supporting documents include:
** MDPH disability card

** COTOREP unlimited disability card*
** Disability card issued by the Office National des Anciens Combattants et Victimes de Guerre*
** MDPH priority card”*

When I was last in the U.K, I just took my qualifying letter for my disability benefits and it seemed to work fine when needed; but most of the time no one ever questioned my disabilities. (Although I was dying to show them what happens when I try to stand up…lol)

Ok, Last thing since you asked. Taxi’s in Paris. The best place to use (G7) happens to be one of the largest fleets in the city and has over 200 wheelchair taxi’s with ramps in the city. They even have discounted rates for the wheelchair taxis and call the program G7 Access. The best thing to do is download the App for the service when you arrive (may not allow download outside of France; but can’t hurt to try?). There should be a setting to change the language on the App if you don’t speak French.

As a backup, the only other one I know of is called Taxi-PMR. They also have Accessible vans and you can make reservations by phone or online. Don’t know that much about this one, but wanted to make sure you knew you have options in a worst-case.

My apologies for the extended answer, but wanted to make sure to cover everything for you. So sorry again about the Eiffel situation :sob:and I hope maybe one of the other ideas may be of help? I also wanted to give you a link to a website the city of Paris hosts to help make an Accessible visit, easier. I really hope you have an AMAZING visit in Paris and enjoy everything.

Oh yeah… and eat like there is no tomorrow! Seriously; the food in France is unlike anywhere in the world. (Bring sweatpants for the flight home, its worth it!..lol). If you need me to check on anything else for you, just let me know?

BIG HUGS and safe travels (we want to her all about your trip),
Pinky :fairy: