<--! Google Search Console Site Verification -->

Europe trip advice?

From a member of our community:

I am planning a trip to Europe - either Rome and Paris, or London and Paris. My wife and I are both wheelchair users. Do you think a cruise would be better? How accessible is each country? Is getting an accessible room hard? Any info would be appreciated.

I use a manual wheelchair.
I have not been to Rome, but my daughter who has travelled with me extensively and is an OT has been there. She observed that there are many cobblestone streets and walkways and inaccessible buildings in the historic areas. She said a power chair with wide tires might get around the streets.
I was in Paris a number of years ago. We were told our hotel was accessible only to find that meant riding from the street to the lobby in the baggage elevator. Sidewalks could change from smooth cement to steeply angled paving stones. On narrow streets you may find parked cars partially blocking the sidewalk. The attitude of the Parisians regarding access was unhelpful to say the least. But if you can tolerate that it is worth the visit, at least once.
i saved the best for last, London is very accessible. There are a great number of websites with UK access information. If you want two cities I can recommend Dublin.

We went to Italy in 2019. Generally I found it very difficult with my scooter, especially in Rome. Steps most places except large museums. Hotel was impossible. Steps to and from the elevator and a flight to the breakfast room.(I didn’t make the reservation.) Downtown paths and plazas are often cobblestone which was uncomfortable and made my scooter shake a lot.
We were there for a few days before our cruise. Cruises are wonderful, and try to make things accessible. Check with the cruise line and specific ship. We like Holland America best. We have had a large accessible room with space for two chairs or scooters, roll in shower, and wide doors. Lots of large elevators and helpful staff. We went on Norwegian once, which was nice but they were constantly pushing their very expensive beverage packages. If you can manage with a scooter, rentals are available through Scootaround, who brings them to the ship terminal for you. Check the prices, as locations vary a lot. Be sure to check about how many and which are “tender ports”. These are little boats to take passengers from the ship which is moored away from the dock. Often they don’t allow wheelchairs and scooters, or have very few spaces. Usually ship personnel help you with getting on and off the ship, which is important if there’s a huge ramp. With advance planning, it is possible. Have a great trip!

Stay safe and stay well :mask:
Susan

Hello Ofzerna!

How nice to hear from you!
I personally prefer planning a trip and staying for a chosen number of days at each place of interest. On a cruise, I usually feel rushed. That said, I know Royal Caribbean has nicely accessible cruise ships and the ports of call can be checked out to be sure they are accessible. Before Covid, I was going to go on a Royal Caribbean mediterranean cruise that stopped at Rome, Napoli, Espezia (near Florence and MarseilleFrance, France). All of those parts I was told are wheelchair accessible and when I did research for excursions, there was lots to do. I know a cabin size of 188 ft.? for two people works for me. But I am the only one in a wheelchair.

I know there are many things to do in London that are wheelchair accessible. The UK in general is very good about wheelchair accessibility. I also know that Rome is nicely accessible although you can?t do some of the ruins in a wheelchair but you can get near to see the Colosseum, for example. I know less about Paris because when I went there, I was able to still walk. I hope this helps.
Lilly

I have been to both Rome and Paris and while they take lots of planning i fouls them very enjoyable. I would first start by finding a hotel that fits your needs. When doing this I email the hotel with very specific needs like no steps between front door and my room. I always try to find a hotel near attractions. In Rome I was near Trevi fountain and in Paris near the Lourve. Next I look for tours that can handle my chair. Again I email them with my needs. In Rome I ended up on a small van with just my group. The driver knew all accessible entrances which made the Vatican my favorite place but would have been a nightmare otherwise. Food is often difficult because many restaurants have one step into their dinning room. If the weather is good many restaurants have outdoor dinning on the sidewalk or street.

I found the people of both cities reserved around me but very helpful when I needed a hand. I’ve got to say that when traveling outside the US, I practice how to say “can you help me” in their language. It goes a long way.

I love cruises as they are a relaxing way to take a vacation but I don’t find them a good way to see cities.

I hope this helps.

I would suggest you google accessible Europe and several links come up

I found this information on one website

European Accessibility Act | Disabled Accessible Travel

[

European Accessibility Act | Disabled Accessible Travel

A much needed European Accessibility Act is finally coming. But is it is good as it seems? Discover everything you need to know about the pact here.

](https://disabledaccessibletravel.com/european-accessibility-act-is-it-really-happening/)

There is a travel agency that specializes in handicapped accessible traveling. The owner is I’m a wheelchair. Iy is out of TX and is called Sage Travel. Check out their website as they go all over the world