Finding a wheelchair accessible camper or RV

From a community member:

How can I find a wheelchair accessible camper or RV?

I haven’t used them. But this looked promising.(https://www.rvngo.com/onthego/rv-owners/ada-compliant-wheelchair-accessible-rving/)

For rent ? for how long? and for where? Those will help determine best sources to check out.

We have a Newmar Canyon Star 3911, which is fully accessible; it is pretty much the only way we travel. Both Newmar and Winnebago offer a line of accessible RVs with lifts. Winnebago even has a lift-equipped adventure van camper, the Winnebago Roam.

I have a 42 foot fully accessible one for sale. It’s has a lift to bring you , rails to transport from bed to bathroom and hand controls to drive. It’s beautiful but for me a bit much to drive :grimacing:

Hey everyone, It’s Pinky :fairy:; your friendly neighborhood Forum Moderator. Thank you for posting that question, Sam; what a great topic. Also, Thank You and Welcome to the Forum Bluestek and Clazore; we really appreciate you and all our members posting on the forum and sharing your advice and travel experiences with everyone.

I had heard during Covid lockdowns, getting your hands on an RV became next to impossible; especially an Accessible RV. I can’t confirm that, but we live at a campground during the summer and that first summertime in 2020; we have never seen more people at our campground in the almost 20 years since opening. It was insane! And a lot of the people had RV’s too, not just tent people.

Unfortunately, our RV is not an accessible one by way of the manufacturer; we had to do our own customizing by adding exterior ramps, but it was easier for us since the RV is stationary year-round. I don’t recommend trying that if you move your RV around; it would be too difficult to transport an outside ramp with you when you move.

However, NewMobility Magazine (free publication from United Spinal) randomly runs articles about RV life with mobility challenges and in one of them they gave a great list of where to find one:

Manufacturers:
Newmar
Winnebago

Other RV Resources:
Dick Gore’s RV World
RV Trader
HTC Travel Club
Consider Airstream RV Travel

• Craigslist - (Search Locally unless you want to travel to pick it up)
  • Ebay - (Search Locally unless you want to travel to pick it up)

This is defiantly not a definitive list but will give you a good start and give you an idea on prices and availability. If you looking to order a new one and plan to customize it, be prepared there may be delays or waiting lists right now; as the RV manufacturers have the same types of backlogs as the car manufacturers. Don’t be afraid to buy a pre-owned too. Sometimes you can get real lucky because someone buys one, tries it out and hates it; and then is desperate to get rid of it.

Here are a couple of those articles for you too:

I just know you are going to love RV life :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:; its the best! I’m so happy to hear you are looking for one and I hope that when you find one and have some adventures; you come back and tell us all about it? (pretty please?) If I can be of any other assistance, please let me know and I would be happy to help. Hopefully this wasn’t overkill for what you needed? :face_with_diagonal_mouth: Sorry.

Good hunting my friend!

• Keep on traveling everyone; It’s our world too! :wheelchair: :earth_americas:

• -Pinky :fairy: :kissing_heart: