Florida Beaches

A question from our community:

I plan on taking my family to Disney World during the last week in May. I’m hoping to use park transportation to avoid renting a vehicle. However, I would also like to take my son to the beach for a day. Any advice?

Honestly, I think it’s always better to have a rental car at Disney World, but especially now. My understanding is that much of the Disney Magic Line transportation is not running right now. Plus, it leaves your options open in the most comfortable way. When we arrive in Florida, we rent from the airport, as usually they have the best deals. If you are a Vacation Club Member you also get a discount.

A few years ago we were there and needed a car for only a few days. There was a rental car place within the Disney property. I took the bus over and got my car. It worked great.

We stayed on the disney resort which included everything from meals to shuttle service to the parks. It saved me a lot of stress.
Enjoy your trip and have fun.

Thank you all! This person is a wheelchair user, so any specific advice there would also be great!

I have been severel times since having to use a scooter and I recommend renting one from another source unless you have your own because those owned by Disney are first come, first served and I didn’t want to take a chance on them being out as in they have 100 units and I am 101. I rented one thriugh a medical rentals place and picked it up at our house rental agency and returned it there for them to retrieve. Since that time I took my own. Your hotel or travel agent should be able to help you arrange for a scooter. I know when I have traveled to oither cities I have made contact with my hotel’s concierge abd they helped me arrange to have a scooter delivered to my hotel and to pick it up after I departed. .

Thank you, great advice!

Hi everyone, It’s Pinky :fairy:; one of your Forum moderators here. I just wanted to throw in a couple ideas for you since you are going to Disney. You have two main options since you are in the middle of the state, pending on if you want to take your son to the Atlantic Ocean side or the Gulf of Mexico side? Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but of the more accessible beaches in the state; these go above and beyond then most beaches in the country.

For the Atlantic Ocean, I vote for Daytona Beach. Daytona has *FREE beach wheelchairs available at 4 different locations on the beach. The chairs are on a "First-come, first served basis (with a waiting list; which isn’t typical at most beaches with chairs). You can find the chairs at the lifeguard stations at:

• Flagler Avenue, New Smyrna Beach
• Dunlawton Avenue, Daytona Beach Shores
• Beach Headquarters, Daytona Beach
• Cardinal Avenue, Daytona Beach

There is also accessible parking next to each lifeguard station, but read website for more details.

Now if you are thinking the Gulf, then I vote for Clearwater Beach. Not only does Clearwater Beach have Free Beach Wheelchairs too, but they have motorized and manual chairs to loan out on a first-come, first saved basis (no reservations or wait lists). Young folks are allowed to borrow the power chair (under 18); but need to come accompanied with a parent.

Chairs can be picked up at:

• Clearwater Lifeguard Tower 0, at 180 S. Gulfview Blvd., Clearwater, Fla.

More details on the website about borrowing them.

As I said, both have their good sides and bad sides to consider; but if you are trying to do this in a day trip, this is the best options for you. If you want to drive a smidge farther to either location, you can also check out Sarasota Beach and Fernandina Beach (Beach Wheelchairs); which are close by to the other two.

If I can be of any more assistance, please feel free to ask away and I will try my best. Please come back and share with us how your trip went, We want to hear about how Accessible you found Disney and the beach if you don’t mind sharing? Both are very popular activities to members of the Forum here and everywhere.

Thank you so much for coming to the Forum to reach out to the community for some help. As you can tell, we all love to share our best and worst travel experiences.

• Keep on traveling everyone; It’s our world too! :wheelchair: :earth_americas:

• -Pinky :fairy: :kissing_heart:

PS. Give Goofy a hug for me (Disney’s first character with disabilities…I think) lol