Georgia USA - Can I use a Handicap Parking Permit from Alberta Canada?

I am from Alberta, Canada and I will be flying to Atlanta. Can use my Handicap Parking Permit from Canada in a rental car?
Second closely related question: I will be staying with friends for a while, can I use a Canadian Handicap Parking Permit in a car with Georgia plates while I am there? (Senario: they take me out for dinner or shopping in their car.)

I can’t quote the law when it comes to how it works from Canada to US but I have used my US State placard in Canada on several occasions and never had a problem… I have even used it in Sweden… I think Reciprocity is pretty much universal when it comes to handicapped parking placards… just an FYI though… if you are leaving your car at the airport in Canada in a Handicapped parking spot and you taking your placard with you make they have a mechanism in place to do that so you don’t end up with a ticket

1 Like

Usually, it’s typical in the US to go to the DMV to get a travel parking permit and it’s good for a month when traveling. Idk about Canada. I’ve been told you can be ticketed if you use your personal one vs. the travel ones.

1 Like

Here are two articles that show you can. (Can I use my accessible parking permit overseas? - The Globe and Mail)

(https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/policy/acc-accf-accessexecutivesummary-704.htm).

Canada is included along with Australia, Japan, Korea, New Zealand and the United States, in a 1997 resolution by the European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) to allow disabled motorists to use their parking passes in all the member countries.

2 Likes

Here’s something I found on Google (in my best Alexa voice):

Can I use my Ontario disabled parking permit in USA?

Canada is included, along with Australia, Japan, Korea, New Zealand and the United States, in a 1997 resolution by the European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) to allow disabled motorists to use their parking passes in all the member countries .Sep 9, 2018

2 Likes

AccessibleGO has already done the research on a state by state basis: https://accessiblego.com/articles/Disability_Parking_For_Travelers

3 Likes

Say hi to all of Atlanta I miss home every spring and glad I am out the rest of the year. A a shout out to my Alberta family and friends.
To answer your question yes you can use the placard. If you forget it yet have an official card with the placards info the dmv where you are visiting will issue another one. Here in Mexico that acts as a discapacidad get in free or greatly discounted rates to all federal and most Mexican states museums, parks, zoo’s and archeological sights. Have fun in hot’lanta

1 Like

I looked up my state law which recognizes a permit issued by any other state or country. I am guessing it is the same in Georgia.