Getting your mobility scooter through TSA

I travel about once a month for work. I have a mobility scooter that I take with me. In most airports I drive my mobility scooter through the gate, I walk back using their cane because it would, then I go through the old fashion and x-ray machine. I cannot do the ones where you hold your hands above your head. While I’m doing that, they swab down my scooter. Normally this is not a problem. Last week I was in Arizona, and they were horrible to me. I explain to them this is what we normally do, but they have a different way, that’s fine. They let me sit there for 45 minutes before they could find a qualified TSA agent who could pat me down. I explain to them several times that my plane is boarding soon and I need the extra time to use the restroom. I got yelled at and was told were sorry we don’t have enough qualified agents again. They finally finished with eight minutes for me to get to my gate. I need to know is there a written document of how they are supposed to handle scooters. I need to take this with me when I travel. They upset me so much, I almost had an anxiety attack. There has to be a document of some sort of how to handle mobility scooters.

Great question! What a frustrating experience. I’ll see if I can find anything about this for you, @nikki .

Hello! I have traveled many times with a power scooter. All airlines, airports, TSA security, seem to have their own policies and procedures.
Usually, you go to your airlines customer service and they take your scooter, and accompany/assist you in a manual wheelchair through security to your gate. Then when you arrive at your destination, your scooter is there for you, intact (in a perfect world). Of course, I give myself plenty of time to accomplish all this on time!
I hope this helped. I also take some before photos of my scooters condition, just in case they damage it in transport.

I think the number of travelers, and the shutdown made available agents short handed. They are not shut down, but are running on low amounts of staff. I am not defending them, just saying maybe for the busiest week of the entire year, feel a bit of empathy for them

That said, I recently paid for and got a TSA Precheck card/I’d. It is $85, but is good for five years. I and my SD sailed through TSA, recently. Even with allowing extra timeI almost missed my flight. Getting the Precheck does not exclude you from searches, but you don’t have to take your shoes off, and even if you get screened, it is not a deeply intrusive process. I recommend you consider getting it.

I thought I had allowed enough time for everything, but almost missed my flight. If I did not have Precheck, I would have for sure. Good luck.

I must admit I have never seen a mobility scooter down near the gates. Even walkers they like to have you check-in and then assist you by wheelchair to your gate through security. I too have pre-check but I didn’t have to purchase it. I don’t know if was because of how many times I’d flown with the same airline but all of a sudden I had it. Some days I can use their cane and walk through their detector and other days my knees will not cooperate and they have to push me through and then I have to transfer to a chair while they check their wheelchair and they wand me and test my hands. Note: do note put hand lotion before going through security! You do have to make sure you are there early because there can be a line of people waiting for wheelchair help. One time my Skycap had to push two of us. I had pre-check, the other person did not so I had to wait through the regular security line. I was glad it wasn’t too bad that day.