Good destination in the Southeast with accessible beaches?

From a member of our community:

Are you aware of any wheelchair accessible beaches in the Southeast? Can you recommend a good destination/vacation in the south?

Jekyll Island, GA has accessible beaches and is SO pretty!

Myrtle Beach, SC has beach accessible wheelchairs for residents and visitors. I have not used them but I have stayed at both Myrtle and North Myrtle Beaches and there are accessible hotels in both areas. Go to the cityofmyrtlebeach.com website to check out info on the beach wheelchairs. I know they don’t take reservations as they are on first come, first serve basis. They are free of charge and once you check it out for your use, it is yours for the day until 5 p.m. My choice of place to stay is the Hilton. Accessible rooms and valet parking; great location.

1 Like

Baldwin County, Alabama has some accessible beaches on the Gulf of Mexico. Not sure which ones but try Dauphin Island, AL-Fort Morgan, AL-Gulf Shores, AL-Orange Beach, AL-Pensacola, FL. Only had time to find this link for Gulf Shores, AL check it out. https://www.meyerre.com/area/gulf-shores-wheelchair-accessible-beaches

Hope this helps.

Myrtle beach has accessible hotels and beaches including beach wheelchairs.

Gulf Shores has nice walkways near the water. Also, there are rentals for wheelchair beach chairs. They deliver to you at the shore area.

It depends on what you mean by accessible and your particular situation. If you have a strong person to push you and don’t mind giving up your independence, several beaches have single-user beach chairs. Just Google it. However, if you value your independence like I do or prefer the comfort of your own transfer-free

wheelchair , a multi-user beach mat or Mobi-Mat is way to go.They’re pretty rare. The only places I know of are Hilton Head Island, SC, Panama City, FL (hurricane cleanup?) and Siesta Keys, FL. Does anyone know of any other place that has Mobi-Mats? I’d re ally like to know.