Hello new to this site

My husband has MS with some mobility issues. We are seniors who have found the term “accessible” means nothing in too many instances. Looking for travel advice and information. We loved camping and hiking earlier in our lives. That seems out of reach now.

1 Like

Hi @selbydorgan! I’m kinda new to this forum also. Many things seemed out of reach to me too until I started looking around. Lots of great tips and ideas here!

My wife has had MS for approximately 30 years. We used to enjoy camping, hiking, and backpacking together. She now has very limited mobility. She is only able to walk ~25 feet at a time and needs help in the restroom. Some of the state parks in TN have handicap-accessible camping spaces. These are usually right next to the restrooms. We usually do our “camping” in a park cabin these days. We recently visited Bond Falls in the UP of MI. It was beautiful and had a nice paved path from the parking lot to the falls. The parking lot had a nice handicap-accessible porta-potty.

Bottom line - you are just going to have to do a lot of research whether you are researching park campgrounds or hotels. Part of the research for me always means calling to confirm the information with a local source.

Hi all,

Emily here from accessibleGO! Welcome to our site and our forum. We’re glad you have found us to realize that travel for people with disabilities is possible.

@selbydorgan All US National Parks have accessibility sections on their site of what is accessible at each park. Some of them detail how the trails how, how many handicap parking spots there are, etc.

We always have new ideas, tips, tricks, and questions! We’re here to help if you have any specific questions or need any specific advice.

Thanks!