Hello to the community, I am traveling to Rome with my wife for two weeks. I am disabled and bringing my three wheel electric scooter to Italy. We are landing in Rome, then to Sorrento, then Bari. Thoughts on bringing my three wheel scooter

Hello to all in the community. My wife and I are traveling to Italy for two weeks, landing in room then traveling to Sorrento, then to Bari then back to Rome. I’ll trip is lasting 15 days and hopefully I will be able to utilize my three wheel electric scooter. It really is my only source of transportation as I am disabled and really cannot walk. Looking for information from anyone who has done this and have a good success. Also trying to find a handicap van that takes the scooter is becoming more and more difficult. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. I can bring a four wheel walker with the seat attack, I will find it still difficult to walk a distance. I will have my cane with me for a very short excursion. Thanks in advance for your help.
Joe and sue RutigLiano

1 Like

Hi I would also check to see how much it would cost to rent a electric scooter in rome for your whole Italy trip instead of taking yours it might be less hassle than flying your own

1 Like

I suggest trying to rent one when you arrive. I’m sure there are places to do that.

Rome is an ancient city, and doesn’t have the paved sidewalks and streets typical of cities in the U.S. There’s lots of cobblestones and uneven walkways, which may be difficult to navigate with a scooter. Many businesses and restaurants have narrow doorways as well. You may find the scooter more of a liability than an asset.

Thank you so much for your input. I really thought by now in the world of 2022 they would’ve done something for disabled people. Wishful thinking. Any thoughts on a handicap van for tours or transportation? Appreciate your help.

Hi,
For tours you an always check accessibles transportation bus tours. Most of them are equipped for those transport.
Your hotel concierge should be able to help you and even has brochures for all attractions/ museums wheelchair accessible. For dining you can always request handicap table access…
The streets can be a little challenge…the old narrow ones are uneven but the tourist area area better.
Bon voyage…enjoy.
Alex

try. sagetraveling.com
they do mobility scooter rentals that can be delivered to your hotel and be waiting for you

I am a C56 quadriplegic. In 2009 traveled to Rome and Sorrento. In Rome we stayed at a hotel called iHotel. I would not recommend it. The rooms were extremely tight. Rome had challeging public transportation for the disabled. The ramps to the bus do not always work. You may need others to pick up your scooter and put it on the bus and then you step onto the bus. Although a subway has an elevator to get down to it, when you get off your stop , it may not be an elevator to go back up to the city. We ended up rolling on the sidewalk and roads to get around. It was a lot of walking for my wife… The Vatican has ramps and elevators to get around. The Colosseum is accessible enough to to get to a higher level to see the ring inside. The Roman ruins are very bumpy but a scooter could handle it. A lot of the restaurants have steps to get inside but there is a lot of outdoor dining. We had wonderful weather to match the scenery. The pantheon is flush to the ground, although the road is bumpy to get there. We flew into Leonardo da Vinci airport. After getting the manual wheelchair, within boarded a train into roam. The train stewards ordered the wheelchair lift for the train but it took 45 minutes to arrive. In Rome, the wheelchair lift was waiting for us and we immediately disembarked.

Sorrento is a brick Road village. Outside of Sorrento we stayed at a best Western which had a large room with large bathroom that was very easy to roll around in. I used a manual wheelchair throughout the trip. We rented a compact car outside of Rome to drive to Sorrento. and after transferring to the front seat, my wife then stowed the wheelchair in the back.

2 Likes

We just did a 25 day transatlantic cruise visiting many European cities with cobblestones. My husband took a lightweight electric Ranger wheelchair. It folds up, pretty tight and taxi drivers would either load it or help me load it. This gave us an option in addition to using handicap vans. My husband is an amputee so climbing steps into a bus is not an option. He used to use a scooter, but the wheelchair is much easier to travel with. The wheelchair weighs 58 pounds.

I found the Rome airport to be amazing when we landed with my son who is a wheelchair user (5 years ago though so hopefully it’s still the same) They have specific employees to help guide those with disabilities. Ours guided us on the inter-terminal tram, helped with luggage, through customs and up yo our vehicle. They were not allowed to take tips.

Roads will be a bit bumpy but doable. Larger places will be more accessible.

Try this place for accessible tours and transportation. They will even rent scooters. Recommended by some of the travel bloggers I follow. They are also on Instagram so you can see how they can help.

romeanditaly.com

Buon viaggio!

Contact Special Needs travel they are great with rentals

Hi @ehodges972. How’d the battery hold up for a full day of travel? I am researching an electric fold up, but there are so many to choose from!

The battery will last longer than I am willing to walk beside him and one day I walked 20,000 steps. I dont think you should have any worries about the battery. We have been real happy with the Ranger. My husband does use his roho cushion when he uses the wheelchair all the time on a cruise. One thing I would suggest is to take tools to tighten bolts after going over a bunch of cobblestones, we had some loosen. Make sure you put those tools in checked luggage

1 Like

Its 90$ a day I checked