High/Low Beds

Hello! This is my first time here and thank you for allowing me to post.
I am newly handicapped to wheelchair July 2, 2021. I now rely on my wheelchair at all times and must use a transfer board to get from chair to bed, etc. I am unable to stand, pivot, or walk, and I must have a Low/High bed in order to get in and out for resting, changing. Does anyone else use the high/low and are there places to stay that offer such a choice?
Thank you so much!!
Tracy

Hi there Tracy,
I too use a wheelchair full time and find that the bed transfers can be difficult especially in a different environment than home.
I hate to say it but there probably is not a hotel that offers a high/low bed but I would encourage you to not let that get in the way of traveling.
The way I look at it, the benefits of traveling and seeing the world far outweigh the temporary inconvenience that come along with trying to navigate in a not so accessible environment. Sometimes we have to make compromises to our independence by having a helper come along and assist in doing some of the things we need. Also if you are still getting physical therapy ask you therapist if you can learn an alternative transfer technique that you can use. If we use our imagination we can do a lot.
Good luck

3 Likes

My daughter is in The same situation. She is 42 and newly dependent on the wheel chair. I’m following your post.

I have found that the beds are often to high but if the room has a sofa or love seat I can transfer to that. A little cramped but it works for pressure relief

1 Like

I do not recall ever seeing such a bed in any brand hotel but we need to make our voice heard. I have spoken with many managers and assistant managers and have told them what requirenents they see on oaper don’t always work in real life. I have suggested before ang renovations or new building they bring a handicapped person on staff to day yea this works or no this doesn’t. During my last hotel stay (major brand in a fairly large city) I complained about how high the bed was; I could not get into my bed. Tgey finally found me a wooden box to use for a step (I now carry one with ny luggage). The first response to my question about height of the bed was “all of the beds in the hotel are the same”. I told him that was the first problem. I am in a handicapped accessible toom and it should reflect that. Secondly I find it dangerous that the only chair for me was an office model with about 6 wheels and no way of locking the wheels. That is just asking for an accident to happen and to possibly permanently injure someone. I really don’t want it to be me.

I use a manual wheelchair and often attended conferences in hotels where the issue was getting my butt from a 21" high wheelchair cushion to a higher mattress. I developed a unique transfer technique that the therapists don’t teach. It may not work for everyone and I would make sure you have help standing by. For my description I am assuming the bed is to your right.
Place the wheelchair beside the bed and lock the brakes. Place your right leg up on the bed. Move your left foot onto the right footrest. Square your shoulders to the bed and place your hands shoulder width apart on either side of your right leg, this will prevent your leg from sliding off the bed while making the lift. Lean toward the bed and lift with your arms and drag your butt onto the mattress. If the mattress is too high, drag your butt onto the right wheel of the chair, adjust your hands and finish getting your butt on the mattress. Then drag the trailing leg onto the mattress.
If you get stuck get your help to lift the trailing leg up and across the leg already on the mattress while you lift and roll onto the mattress. I always use this lift technique to go from a lower to higher level. Note! I would not try this on your own the first few tries, your hands can slip, the wheelchair can move. BUT I have used it for years.