Hilton Vacation Village (Waikiki) or Waikoloa (Big Island)?

Which of these hotels offer more to do for those of us in a wheelchair? I’ve stayed at both many times but wasn’t in my chair then!

Mahalo,
Scott

Hilton properties are a good bet. I went there for a day and found they also have lifts to get in and out of the pools.
I’m sure Waikoloa also has good amenities. Give them a call.

Mahalo rb1.

I just emailed the concierge.
Aloha,
Scott

Mahalo Srsaz. It’s Pinky :fairy:, one of your Forum moderator’s :crystal_ball:. I saw your inquiry and I love a good Challange, so I thought I would see what I could find out for you about the two different resorts. (I will leave it to you to decide if one sounds better than the other, since both islands offer such unique opportunities when visiting)

Let’s start with the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the big island. I came across a review from a guest who visited the resort a few years ago and they had a couple extra notes not mentioned by hotel website:
Tram - The last car is wheelchair accessible
Pools- All 3 pool areas are accessible (including Lazy River). Not sure if slide access is?
Private Ocean Lagoon - Plan ahead for route; as not all routes to lagoon accessible.
Dolphin Quest - Contact the resort; having hard time verifying if accessible

I finally found the hotel’s official page that listed the resorts Accessible features. My apologies the list is a little long, but figured you would prefer the info:

• Accessible
  • Accessible business center
  • Accessible concierge desk
  • Accessible elevators
  • Accessible exercise facility
  • Accessible guest rooms with mobility features with entry or passage doors that provide 32” of clear width
  • Accessible hotel restaurant
  • Accessible meeting rooms
  • Accessible parking
  • Accessible parking spaces for cars in the self-parking facility
  • Accessible public entrance
  • Accessible registration desk
  • Accessible route from the accessible public entrance to the accessible guestrooms
  • Accessible route from the accessible public entrance to the registration area
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible entrance to the meeting room/ballroom area
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to at least one restaurant
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the business center
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the exercise facilities
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the spa
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the swimming pool
  • Accessible swimming pool
  • Audible alerts in elevators
  • Bathroom doors at least 32 inches wide
  • Bedroom doors at least 32 inches wide (812 mm)
  • Braille elevator
  • Closed captioning on televisions or closed captioning decoders
  • Grab bars in bathroom
  • Hotel complies with ADA Guidelines
  • Hotel comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
  • Level or ramp entrance into the building
  • Lowered emergency evacuation instructions
  • Public Areas/Facilities accessible for physically challenged
  • Roll-in Shower
  • Room Accessible by Request
  • Rooms accessible to wheelchairs (no steps)
  • Serv support animal’s welcome
  • Strobe alarms
  • Swimming pool hoist for pool access
  • TTY for guest use
  • Van-accessible parking in the self-parking facility
  • Visual alarm for hearing impaired
  • Visual alarms for hearing impaired in hallways
  • Visual alarms for hearing impaired in public areas
  • Wheelchair ramp for lobby/reception access

The following features are not available:

• Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the exercise facilities
  • Accessible transportation with advance notice
  • Assistive listening devices for meetings upon request
  • Valet only parking

Ok, if I still have you reading; Now let’s look at the Hilton Waikiki Vacation Village. There are a couple of Hilton Vacation clubs on that island, but guessing you mean the Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Hilton Hawaiian Village? To start with, you will defiantly have more to do when staying at this resort because you are in the heart of Waikiki, which is “the” resort area in Honolulu, so the options for activities are endless in the area. Now as for the resort, I was shocked to learn the building itself does not list the same amount of accessibility as the Waikoloa. Personal reviews of the resort have actually said the accessible rooms are great in the resort, as well as the paths around the resort for getting around.

However… I did read two warnings from several people you should be aware of. First, please be aware the “village” at this resort is HUGE at 22 Acres of mixed buildings and paths. Second, multiple people have referred to the crowd sizes as “zoos” due to how crowded it always seems to be there. So if you do plan on trying out this one, just leave time in schedule for delays and lines when trying to access the hotels features. Here are the hotels “official” accessibility features:

• Accessible business center
  • Accessible concierge desk
  • Accessible guest rooms with mobility features with entry or passage doors that provide 32” of clear width
  • Accessible hotel restaurant
  • Accessible parking
  • Accessible public entrance
  • Accessible registration desk
  • Accessible route from the accessible public entrance to the accessible guestrooms
  • Accessible route from the accessible public entrance to the registration area
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible entrance to the meeting room/ballroom area
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to at least one restaurant
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the business center
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the spa
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the swimming pool
  • Accessible swimming pool
  • Accessible transportation with advance notice
  • Assistive listening devices for meetings upon request
  • Closed captioning on televisions or closed captioning decoders
  • Public Areas/Facilities accessible for physically challenged
  • Roll-in Shower
  • Serv support animals’ welcome
  • Swimming pool hoist for pool access
  • TTY for guest use
  • Wheelchair ramp for lobby/reception access
    ***The following features are not available: ***
  • Valet only parking

Ok, one last thing about the resort. My internet pal, Wheelchair Jimmy did a review of this resort a few years back on YouTube that is worth checking out. I may be a little biased about wanting to endorse Waikiki, only because that was where I had a vacation planned when Covid hit, and it was postponed and then eventually cancelled. When I did my Hawaii research, that hotel seemed the best to me out of all the others in Waikiki (not just the Hilton brands, but all the hotels). Plus… it’s where Elvis used to stay… so you have to, LOL

Sorry for the extended response but wanted to make sure I could get you all the data I could. Please, please, promise me you will come back and let us know how your trip went and which resort you stayed at? (And how honest they are about the accessibility listings). I will keep my eye out if I come across anymore reviews of the resorts that discuss wheelchair accessibility and will let you know. There are beach wheelchairs for rent in Honolulu, but not so sure on the Big Island; so that could also affect how many activities you have access too also? Let me know if you need those contacts.

Have a fabulous trip and can’t wait to hear how your trip went.

• Keep on traveling everyone; It’s our world too! :wheelchair: :earth_americas:

• -Pinky :fairy: :kissing_heart: