How do you travel outdoors and in nature? Tips needed!

Everybody had such great tips and advice when I posted about hotel bed heights a few days ago.

I am curious about people’s outdoor adventures now! Where have you traveled? What are your tips and tricks for doing accessibility in the great outdoors?

This is such an inspiring community. <3

1 Like

Western MI has several accessible beaches. One in Elberta MI has a wooden sidewalk they roll out which works well for wheelchairs or walkers. several beaches/state parks have added wheelchair beach chair for reserve that have extra large wheels for sand and there is a state park near Muskegon that has an accessible zip line. Just research MI state parks on line

2 Likes

Norfolks botanical gardens. Longwood gardens. Ashville and Hendersonville n c has so many things to do hc accessible. A must do is the pinball museum and biltmore estate. Reading and northern railro is a wc accessible train ride. Pigeon forge tn and dollywood has aton of stuff. Pige forge has plenty of free stuff that is accessible. Philadelphia mass transit has become very h c accesible as more elev are being installed in the subway system. Born raised in Philly. Wildwood n j. Cape may co zoo . One of the best in the world and completely hc accessible

3 Likes

Toledo zoo. Detroit zoo. Toledo botanical gardens. Toledo museum of art, free. Chrysler museum of art in Norfolk, free. Fort monroe in norfolk, free. Living history museum , near norfolk. Complete hc accessible. Wife and i also love to cruise every year out of Baltimore on royal Caribbean

3 Likes

In the state of Washington around the rain forest was so disappointed in All of the handicapped trails. None of them were doable in my wheelchair even though they were almost all listed as wheelchair accessible. Finally talked to a ranger and she said that they have not been maintained for years. Luckily our small hotel was in a very beautiful spot and the host was wonderful. Got a lot of reading done!
Quinault River Inn was not handicapped friendly really but i travel with portable bed rail, toilet, and can use a walker so i can make almost anything work.

2 Likes

If you go to the Grand Canyon, show the ranger at the entrance booth (make sure your in the left lane) your handicap placard. They will give you a pass and the daily gate code to use the same roads as the federal transportation buses. This will allow you to park right next to all the different sites instead of having to walk to them with the crowds.

5 Likes

Washington, DC, and surrounding areas have a wonderful assortment of outdoor activities. The zoo while technically accessible is all uphill, so it is a hike and then some. But there are many choices other than the Smithsonians which are accessible. There is accessible sailing in Annapolis, golf in Gaithersburg (just outside DC) and kayaking in Patapsco State Park in Maryland.

One trick is to go online and look for accessible organizations in the sports and activities you like in the area you are considering visiting. Ask to get in contact with a member with a disability like yours or one who utilizes similar mobility equipment so you can make sure you are comfortable with that activity.

A few minutes of investigation online can limit disappointment when you arrive.

3 Likes

We have electric wheel chairs and found trails in Petrified Forest, Saguaro National Park. There were many beautiful community trails in Tucson area. Arizona Dessert Museum was outstanding.

3 Likes

Many public gardens in the country are free and handicap accessible. Toledo gardens is one of them. N c . They have several. Some of the pay gardens my wife and i have been to is norfolk botanical and we are members at Longwood.

3 Likes

@sylvia1345 love this recommendation! thank you so much

@matthew.brandley i love this recommendation. it’s simple and such a good point! i often forget that botanical gardens are everywhere, and often very accessible. thank you for reminding me!

@sebrecht oh! i went to both the petrified forest and arizona desert museum just last year. i loved both!!! great reminders & recommendations for me! thank you!

@hkott oh wow, that is such a great all-purpose tip about searching for accessible organizations in a particular sport you like. i hadn’t thought of that!!! i also am going to investigate the accessible sailing in Annapolis as a potential recommendation to our wider community. thank you!

@garatzel amazing tip! thank you so much! i got very lucky and got to see the grand canyon from a flight passing overhead this thanksgiving, and it’s so breathtaking.

Thursdays they do group trips - our Amputee Support Group goes several times a year. Sundays they do family trips for people with all sorts of disabilities. Their volunteers are very well trained in helping people get on and off the boats. These are small sailboats so, in addition to the captain and crew, about 4 people are on each boat.

2 Likes

Also aquariums. Some local state parks have paved paths that are accessible esp for fishing or nature paths in Maryland.

1 Like

With all these suggestions you have inspired me to make a bucket list.

2 Likes

Get a fifth wheel attachment for your manual wheelchair (if that’s what you use). It makes a lot of unpacked nature trails much easier to navigate as it picks your front caster wheels off the ground so they don’t catch on rocks, tree roots, etc.

Here is an example

2 Likes

@cycleboy99 this is a fantastic tip! thank you so much for the link

Your welcome… I pair this with a pair of knobby tires on my wheelchair and can go to a lot more places with rough terrain, or cities with cobblestones

1 Like