How to find accessible accommodations on the beach?

From a member of our community:

I would like to know how to find out if a hotel or condo has a wheelchair accessible ramp to the beach. I have been in several handicap accessible places, but had no way of getting the beach wheelchair to the beach. So many of the ramps have stairs. How I can find out without calling every hotel and every condo?

I find especially when visting the US it is always best to call and ask if they have your sepcific requirements as many advertise acessible facilities and quit honestly the are not. better to put in some planning beforehand to avoid disappointment .

The beaches in and around Sarasota, Florida are accessible.

We stayed a few years ago at the Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club. It has both beach access and beach wheelchairs. It is a timeshare place but rents out empty room. The pool was fun with a working pool lift. The walk along the beaches is paved and level. This resort is adjacent to the Disney resort which also has an accessible beach though I can’t verify a beach wheelchair since we didn’t stay there.

Hope this helps.

The beaches that are listed as national seashore have listings of what they have available. Including the beach wheelchairs. The sand mats and and bathroom and shower facilities. But be careful, some are only available Monday- Friday. I guess we don’t swim on weekends! What area are you looking in?

No way online. You need to call them or send a message.

I youtube the hotels and sometimes find video on the hotels grounds.

1 Like