<--! Google Search Console Site Verification -->

How to Get Powerchair From Airport to Hotel, in DC

Hi, I was recently put into a Powerchair/wheelchair and am traveling for the first time in years.

Due to a mix up, no transport was set up for me to get from the airport (Reagan DCA) to the hotel (Yotel DC) and back again, after the stay.

I’m traveling Oct 19, 2021 thru Oct 21, 2021.

If anyone has any experience with this and /or could possibly suggest a company I could call to get this set up, it would be very much appreciated.

I’ve never used a wheelchair before (well, not all the time anyway) and am still getting used to it.
I plan on using an overnight bag, as a carry on and will hold it in my lap.

Looking for my owners manual, I think I might have to remove the batteries…but wanted to get this posted.:blush:

Thank you very much for any help!

The Washington metro system has a station at the Reagan airport which is accessible. The Judiciary Square metro station is .4 miles from your hotel. Not sure if this helps.

1 Like

Tell airlines baffery is a dry cell
I don’t know if there is UberWav there 4 wheelchair

1 Like

Thanks so much! I can definitely do this!

Thank you! I will tell them about the batteries for sure!

I flew with my mobility scooter from Savannah. GA to Seattle. WA as the beginning of my 2 week Alaska trip. My scooter and a walker were put into baggage and the batteries had to be a certain type or they had to be removed; mine were sealed so they we ok. I turned off my scooter and put it in neutral and folded down the seat and basket before turning it over to the airline. They put me in a manual wheelchair to get around airport with an airport employee as a pusher. At the Seattle Airport baggage guy comes over to where my group of ten were seated waiting 9n our transportation to our hotel. He asked if the scooter and walker belonged to any of us and I said yes. He says they can’t get the scooter to go. I’m thinking OMG here I am 3,000 miles from home with a defunct scooter. I had put 2 brand new batteries in it a few days earlier and they were fully charged. He brings my walker and I go over to the scooter and they have put the seat and basket back up however it is totally backwards and it won’t run because it is still in neutral. Once I turn it around and lock seat into place and lock the steering into place and take it out of neutral then the power button works. I explain that is a safety feature.

I had an issue at Seattle airport coming off of a cruise. I had booked a car to take us from cruise terminal to our hotel as my daughter and I were staying a few days before driving back across the country. Fortunately we had a huge Cadillac Escalade that picked us up but I only had a walker at that point. Driver said he wished that his dispatcher had said I was handicapped because he would have brought a different vehicle.

Call your hotel and ask for the concierge. Explain your delimma and request assistance. I did that when traveling to NYC. They were able to connect me to a company that provided mobility scooters and they had one delivered to my hotel to the bell captain and then picked it up from there. I am sure the Concierge would have information on the car services that would be able to handle your power chair. When I was on that Alaska trip I was using a travel service in Savannah and the transportation they booked for my group was a 15 passenger bus that was capable of lifting my scooter into the rear of the bus. Likewise the next morning the same bus and driver drive us to Vancouver BC to board our cruise for the first week of our trip. When we got off the ship there was a bus for our group of now around 30. It was equipped with a lift as in addition to me we had a young man in a power chair. At each point of our 2nd week there was always handicapped accessible transportation for both of us to use.
Good Luck and enjoy your trip. I am also a new power chair user and am a 3 week owner of a conversion van. I am still quite scared going up my ramp into the van and absolutely terrified of coming down that ramp to the ground. It us scary when you realize that you have to remain straight because the alternative of falling off either side is frightening. Right now my chair is acting up so waiting to hear back as to what could possibly be wrong in that it won’t go.

1 Like

user1
October 15 |

Hi, I was recently put into a Powerchair/wheelchair and am traveling for the first time in years.

Due to a mix up, no transport was set up for me to get from the airport (Reagan DCA) to the hotel (Yotel DC) and back again, after the stay.

I’m traveling Oct 19, 2021 thru Oct 21, 2021.

If anyone has any experience with this and /or could possibly suggest a company I could call to get this set up, it would be very much appreciated.

I’ve never used a wheelchair before (well, not all the time anyway) and am still getting used to it.
I plan on using an overnight bag, as a carry on and will hold it in my lap.

Looking for my owners manual, I think I might have to remove the batteries…but wanted to get this posted.

Thank you very much for any help!

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

The hotel hasn’t been helpful at all, but given your experience, I think I’ll tape a pic of a copy from my owners manual, on how to unfold/fold it, to my chair.
I’m really worried they’re going to damage it.

I pick up my van on Mon. The people brought one out so I could try it first & it IS scary going down the ramp!
I’m worried I’m not going to be good enough to get my chair into the driver’s area,.or back out again, and will be stuck in my van!:laughing:

My son is supposed to go with me & hopefully he’ll be able to help me the first day.
I live on a dead-end street & figure I’ll park it & practice getting in & out.

Good luck with yours! I hope you get used to it soon!

Connect with John at http://WheelchairTravel.org he has lots of info and experience in DC.

I am sorry your hotel hasn’t been helpful. One thing I have learned is that I have to speak up for myself because no one else is going to do so. I have become much more cognizant of how poorly some places treat disabled customers and I do not hesitate to make them aware if their failure. On Thursday I visited my CVS where I normally use the drive thru to pick up my Rx’s but I was in need of a new bottle of probiotics and it is their brand and it is for seniors and lasts six months so I knew where to look as they are not with bituminous, etc. I pulled into parking lot and see where they have blocked off space for parking for Covid testing. They have only 1 van accessible spot and there are orange bones blocking the striped space to the right of the van accessible parking space thereby making ut useless because there is no where for ramp to extend. I then proceeded to park in their “testing only” parking spot and using the handicapped space to extend my ramp. I was going to say something while inside and once I git my prebiotica and my 4 Rx’s I forgot. Upon returning to the parking lot I remembered and picked up my phone and called inside. I explained to the young lady who answered but she kept saying corporate did that and I told her corporate foes not o error the federal law so please let me talk to your manager. I got a very nice young man on the phone and explained the problem and he was very apologetic. He told he he was going outside and he would correct that. I have not had occasion to return but will be anxious to see. I have already had a couple of times where people blocked me in because they chose to park in the striped space or because there were no van spaces (that is illegal by the way). For each 6 handicapped spaces or part thereof (some places only have 1 handicapped space) there must be 1 van accessible space. It us wider and also just gave the striped space on its passenger side and it too is wider. Per the law a van accessible space must be I fixated with an additional sign at a specific height, etc. If you are a health care provider 10% of your parking must be accessible and if you are a stand alone therapy provider then that becomes 20% and the van accessibility spaces follow. Believe it or not the worst space here in my city is a huge medical plaza with several buildings each with multiple floors. A couple of weeks ago I am at Building B and there are many handicapped parking spaces none of which are van accessible and their striped spaces don’t meet width guidelines even for regular handicapped spaces. I pick the middle of an entire row 9f handicapped spaces that is mirrored on the front side with all handicapped spaces. There were no cars parked in any of these spaces so I chose middle of first side. I mentioned it to my P.A. that I hoped no one park’s next to me thereby blocking me in. She said “let us know if that happens” and I asked her what they would do because we have 4 or 5 floors of offices so how do we find whose driving the car. I came down to lobby flour abs looked out and sure enough there is a car directly to my right and who knows whose car and for how long. I pulled out my Kindle and read for like 45 minutes or so. A couple came off of the elevator and he was on a walker. I heard her tell him she would the car to the door and sure enough it was the car. I quickly rode out to my car and extended the ramp before someone else could park there. A week later I am Building C for doctor and same thing - no van spaces. I found a pair 9f handicapped places next to some shrubbery. The one closest to the trees would not be a good space unless the disabled person was the driver because it was right on the curb on the right side. I parked in the left side of the two and used right space to extend the ramp and thankfully no one wanted that space so I was able to use it to return to the van. I have written the hospital corporation’s patient advocacy office but have had no reply.
I would suggest going to Google for DC and asking for handicapped transportation and then check out the ones that appear; be sure to check out reviews as well. I do wish you well on your trip and I wish you success gir local transportation.

1 Like

Most shuttle or taxi have a handicap vehicle. My hubby electric chair can fold and fit into any trunk or back of van

Is yours a folding electric chair? The batteries are long narrow and slide out either side. I have to put in my big shoulder bag onboard. He rides chair to plane door, they put in under carraige, then it is brought up to plane door for him when we get off plane.

1 Like

Hi @user1, thanks for posting! We have a list of companies offering accessible transportation in the Washington DC area here that may help :smiley:

We also posted your question on our Facebook page here so you can get additional recommendations from our community.

1 Like

Thank you very much, I’ll definitely check it out!

No, it is a large powered wheel chair. A Permobile M3, but thank you.

Thank you for the well wishes & the warnings.

I don’t normally leave my house for anything other than once a month for my dr appt, but was hoping the van would help remedy that, as well as the wheelchair.

The wheelchair has already allowed me to leave my house 8 times in the 6 weeks I’ve had it.

So I thought I might be able to try this trip, but it’s turning into a nightmare, to be honest.

I was told my van would allow for myself, in my chair to drive, as well as others by returning the original seat into position. When I picked it up today I was told that is not the case.

I was planning on driving cross country with my sons, sharing the driving with them, which means I’ll have sit in the very uncomfortable original seat.

Hopefully this trip will go well.

Best of luck to you & thank you for all the info.

Oh do go and enjoy your trip with your dons. A few years ago 3 took my daughter on a cruise through the Panama Canal. We left from Ft. Lauderdale and ended up in Seattle after a quick north trek to Vancouver. It was 22 days of wonderful sights and fun. We spent a few nights in Seattle and and took in the sites there before beginning our. Ross country drive back to SC. We had a fabulous trip back. Each evening my daughter would go on her GPS app and decide where our next stop would be. We kept it to around 150 to 200 miles a day and we never touched an interstate highway as we kept go back roads. We didn’t want to see highways as we wanted to see our actual country and we did. I laughed and said some roads I believed might have been real people’s driveways. There was only 1 town we chose to stay a second might because we fell in love with the town and it was a lovely small city in Utah. Going into the town it was very obvious we were in cattle country as ranches were everywhere. We asked at the desk for a restaurant recommendation and it was awesome. We learned we could have ordered 1 steak and fed both of us. That is one recommendation I would make for your cross country trip - don’t do chain restaurants. Ask folks at the front desk that if they were going out to eat where would they want to go. We had some fantastic meals along our trip and got to enjoy local cuisines.

After my daughter would name our next destination I would then go on my Hilton app and make a reservation for the next evening and I never had a problem finding a handicapped room with a roll in shower. I would also recommend that if you don’t have AAA that you do so before your trip. I already belonged but it came in handy in Mississippi when we discovered the next morning that we had a flat o our van. It was really hot outside as it was mid June and the young man who came go the hotel parking lot to change the tire was drenched by being in the heat and doing his job. We had a cooler with us and we had ice cold bottled water. My daughter gave him 2 bottles and he was so appreciative and as we stood by the car he guzzler 1 and poured the other over his head. We found a Walmart not too far away and were able to have the tire plugged and the bubble tire returned to its proper place.

Have a great trip. Enjoy your son on this trip and your sons on your cross country venture. It is a beautiful sight to behold. When people speak of wide open spaces you just don’t understand until you experience it.