Hoyer Lifts and Charging Chairs

From a community member:

I’m dependent on using a Hoyer lift. Do you know of any of the hotels that have these for use by guests? If answer is yes is it manual or electric?

Can wheelchair bound individuals charge their power chairs easily in hotels?

I hace no experience with a lift but I do use a power chsir and have used a mobility scooter fur many years and I have never had any trouble charging my scooter or my chair esoeciallh in tge bew hitels ir brwjy remodeled hotels as they now provide many more electrical ioutets on theyr rooms due to the number of electronic unuts people now bring with them, i.e., cell phones, tablets, laptops, printers, etc. They need to be able to charge those items so hotel rooms are now providing for those needs. I do carry a power strip with 6 outlets in my large suitcase and it always stays in that suitcase as I love to cruise and unless it is a brand new ship the stateroom may not have but one double outlet in the cabin. So, if that is the case I plug my piwer strip into the outlet and then plug in my scooter or chair, phone, Kindle, etc.
Because today’s hotel beds all seem to be quite high from the floor I am unabke to get up and into the bed so I also travel with a leg lift in tgat sane suut ase and I have a wooden step topped with 2 jarge strios of a non skid surface thatcus inckuded wuth my suitcases. I usecut to climb up onto the side of the bed and use my leg lift to pull my kegs, one at a time onto the bed. Back in April I was visiting Knoxville, TN and returned to my room my first night in town and I ciukd not get up and into the bed because the bed sat so high. I called the Front Desk for assistance and the young man apologized but said moving to another room would not help because all of the beds were identical l. I told him that was their first mistake. I was supposedly in a handicapped accessible room and that bed should not be identical to a bed in every other room in that hotel. This bed shouid accommodate physically challenged guests. I recently stayed in a hotel in NC and gave it a rather poor review. I was ubable to open the room door unkess I backed into the door while using my walker. The sahe issye occurred when trying to leave my room. I had ireviiysjy geen yokd by a manager at another hotel that the doors were purposely designed like that because they were fire doors. I said well and good but something needs to be added to assist handicapped individuals to enter and exit. In a power chair it is nigh on to impossible to open the door from the hallway and it is really impossible from inside trying to get out. Try sitting in a wheelchair and reaching for the door when trying to leave the room. You can hardly reach the door while sitting, then trying to pull it open towards you when it weughs a ton; it just doesn’t work. I formally complain at every hotel just to be heard and to have it documented that it is a viable issue. God forbid there is a fire and someone gets trapped inside that door because they are having trouble tryibg to get it open.
This last room had one rolling chair at the little desk/table and I saw no means of locking the wheels. No way was I going to attempt to sit in that chair and it go flying out from under me. Due to having broken my neck in 3 places and having had bilateral rotator cuff repairs avd a total left shoulder replacement I cannit reach up so things hanging up high or placed on upper shelves are out of reach for me. They now hang dispensers of shower gel, shampoo, etc., on obe of tte shiwer walls rather than provide the small bottles or bars of soap. Likewise I had to get a lady from the Front Desk to come to my room avd bring the handheld shower down to where I could reach it. The space between the bed and the wall was too narrow so I could not use my walker to reach my bedside. It was not a happy couple of days and I got very little rest. I was glad to check out.
My siggestion is to speak directly to the hotel and to put together a list of questions firxwhich yiu need abswers before making that call. I do think I made a difference at that hotel in Knoxville because I brought to their attention the issue about the height of the bed and the need for some type of stool. I happened to end up on tge elevator wuth tte gead if maintenance abd ge mentiibed ge had read the report of what had hapoenrd the night before and he had decided tobirder secersl stools to have on hand for future request. I akso suggested relocating the trashcan in the lobby’s ladies room as it was directly in the way when anyone opened to the door to enter. If someone was throwing away their us3dcoaowrctowel tte oerson ebtering tte room wiukd literally open the door right into that person, possibly causing that person to fall backwards. Also the door to the handicapped stall opened directly into anyone who might be using the sink abd ttecoerson ibside stall in no way could even know there was anyone oncttecither sidecif tge doircubtil they pushed open the door only to almost knock someone over (I truly almost knocked a young woman over because she was just washing her hands when I pushed open the door snd sweat her almost off her feet; I had absolutely no idea she was there).
We have come a ways but we still have a long way to go. Good Luck.

I’ve never heard of a hotel having one for you. I travel a few times a year and bring a travel Hoyer with me. It’s still bulky and a bit heavy. But mine is electric. The biggest difficulty is that hotels put a border around the bottom of the beds so people don’t lose things underneath them. So you have to call each hotel and ask if that handicap accessible room has clearance under the bed similar to the clearance that is under your bed at home because you travel with a lift to get you out of your wheelchair and into bed. then I call back and try to talk to someone else and re-confirm. It is a major hassle but a necessity.

I charge my Travel Scoot every evening while I sleep. It takes a normal 110V
plug in

1 Like