I’m needing some help with mobility scooters

Hello, ewbie here …I’m needing some help with mobility scooters! What is I’m not sure I really understand the batteries that are allowed on airplanes. Before I purchased one I really would like to know how do you travel with yours do you have to rent a minivan or do you spend the thousands of dollars to get a fold up one that goes in an airplane? Any help would be much appreciated because you

Any non lithium batteries will go on a plane. Always check with the air carrier for their specific requirements. Pride gogo travel scooters are the best way to go. They can come apart and easily fit in the trunk of your car. We left ours together and it fit in a KIA Niro hatchback. The steering column folds down for easy stowage in an airplane. You can drive it up to the door of the airplane and then go to your seat. They will bring it back at your destination to the airplane door. Just know you will be first on, but last off the plane. What is mentioned here is for planes flying from and to the USA.

I have an AirHawk portable wheelchair, the lithium batteries are approved for airlines and you slide them out and take them onto the plane with you. The chair folds like a lawn chair and is 41 pounds total. Still very heavy for me with my disability as the weight is in the back wheels and it is a dense 41 pounds. My daughter can help me lift it into a trunk. My issue with scooters I have owned is taking it apart can be awkward, getting it back together can be awkward, I find the pieces heavy to lift and if I am traveling alone could never do it. For me I can only use mobility equipment when someone is with me who is able to help lift stuff. Good luck. FYI renting a mobility van is very pricey and not all areas have them to rent in the first place. Just my experience.

1 Like

dI use a power chair that is quite heavy. It has a dry lithium battery that is no trouble on the air plane. We go to the check in desk, fill out a form. The airline puts the chair in the cargo bay and transfers me to a special wheelchair to get on the plane. They do not provide any assistance in getting to the bathroom so make sure you have a companion to assist you or where good diapers and bring an extra pair of clothes. You will need to wait for your chair to be left in the jet way for you, often after everyone else has gotten off the plain. You can rent a van or get an accessible taxi to get to your location. Alternately you can get a wheelchair at the airport and have one delivered to your hotel.

I’ve had mobility scooters for many years and have flown with them a number of times. The common batteries are generally fine. The new lithium batteries for a scooter are different, depending on size. I recently got a GOGO Endurance Li with the smaller lithium battery, which is approved for airlines. The larger one is not. I’m unsure if the larger one can’t go in the cargo hold, but possibly can be taken onboard with you as carry-on. Definitely check with the airlines. The only time I have had to go through a big rigamarole was with Quantas Airlines. They wanted all dimensions, weight, etc. Traveling with a scooter is easy. They let you board first. You drive it down to the door of the plane and people take in in one piece down to the hold, like they do for baby strollers, etc. You have to walk in to your seat. If necessary, the flight attendants will help you. FYI, be sure to tell the airline you are disabled and need an aisle seat. Some planes have armrests that can be moved out of the way on some seats, others don’t. Often they save the bulkhead seats for people in wheelchairs who need to transfer to their seats. Happy travels!

1 Like

I traveled all tte way to Alaska fr9m Savannah, GA and spent 2 weeks on the trip. My scooter coukd be folded down and airlines ship it for free as it is considered adaptive equipment. The ba54eries on my scooter were sealed and approved. You can find out the type of batteries at the time you decide to purchase your scooter. The airline put me ibto a wheelchair to get to the plane and I have a folding cane that helped me get to my seat. I always get an aisle seat as I think it is easier. I just waited til everyone was almost off tte plabe tten made my way to exit where aurline had a wheelchair and a person to push it, ready for me and I was taken to baggage area where my scooter would be. The funniest thing was someone came over asking if anyone there had a red scooter and I identified myself and the guy said ttey couldn’t get it to work. I also had a walker shipped for use inside my room so went to look thinkingvoh dear I am 3,000 miles from home with a scoitee that doesn’t work (s8nce mine had some use on it I had ordered 2 brand new batteries and installed them roght before trip so I would know that they were strong. I look at my scoiter and ttey had extended frint otece and tightened tge one screw correctly but they jad put the seat on vackwards so it was sitting totally in reverse. I corrected that and explained I didn’t want to see where I had been but rather where I was going. I also checked and sure eniugh they had it in neutral which alliws it to be pushed around but will not allow the key to engagem. That is a safety feature. Once I put it into gear I turned on thek key and it was fully charged snd ready to ride. My tour operator had a handicapped accessible 15 passenger bus at the Seattle Airport to pick up my group of 10 and we were taken to our hotel for the evening. The same bus picked us up the next morning and drove us to Vancouver to board our ship for first week of 2. Upon departure in Anchorage the ship’s bus service picked us up to take us to our hotel for the night. Tye bus was fully accessible in that a young nan who was paraplegic and in a power chair was also traveling in my now group of 20 being hosted by a
cruise line employee. The bus had an elevator which could transport him in his chair to a section in the back of the bus that allowed for his chair to be locked down into the floor . I opted to gave my scoiter folded and placed with the luggage. I once again used my folding cane and the bus “kneels” and handicapped seating was provided right at the entrance. At each hotel I had a handicapped accessible room and all of the excursions were accessible. Flew oyt of Fairbanks through DFW back to Savannah. At plane change in DFW the airline once again had a manned wheelchair ready for me wten we landed. The same was true for Savannah. Just make sure if you are the one making your flight reservations to make airline aware you will need assistance and that you have adaptive equipment with you. Also make sure to IS your scoiter, walker, wheelchair, cane, whatever. I bought some Avery shipoing labels and printed ttem out with my name, address and cell number. I put ttem in inconspicuous places on walker, scooter and now on my power chair and around bottom of my cane. That way you can easiky ID your equipment. I put 2 on the larger pieces and I also covered them with clear shipping tape. It protects the label and prevents writing from becoming smeared if it gets wet. I traveled with Holland America on that trip and they also owned the bus snd hotels. I firhit we also traveled by train as we went inland all the way to Denali. The train is a diubke decker in tgat yiu are seated on 2nd floor with 360 degree plexiglass top. There is an elevator to take you on your scooter or chair to 1st level of train. On that floor is an accessible restroom and a restaurant. Able bodied travelers use a spiral staircase ho get to the 2nd level while an elevator is provided for those of us with a need. I keft my scooter on 1st level and once again used my folding cane. The young man in the power chair used tte elevator and they had locking system to stabilize his chair for the journey. HA also owned the train. They are always so very helpful to me that I have traveled with them on multiple trips and am planning to book another cruise for early 2023

Thanks for all the wonderful detailed information about your trip. I have cruise on Holland America a number of times and love them. We have also been on a couple of other Cruise lines, and have not been as happy with the accommodations, the service, or the food.

Do any of the air travel scooters handle a heavier person?

Try Scootaround Inc. Whether you need a wheelchair, scooter, powerchair, rollator, oxygen or other piece of mobility equipment, Scootaround can help. Nationwide. Book ahead for your arrival to hotel or cruise ship. Some international destinations too.

Generally the airlines want lithium batteries to be below 300 kwh. I bought a Travelscoot Airtraveler. I also have a collapsible mobility scooter from the municipal aid storage. In both the battery capacity is below 300.