<--! Google Search Console Site Verification -->

Introduce Yourself!

My name is Mary Beth. I have progressive chronic pain and neuropathy, as well as IBS and fibromyalgia that have me using a cane outside the house most of the time for short distances and my mobility scooter for longer distances. I have two long term partners, one of whom has disabling chronic peripheral neuropathy, and five children, two of whom have chronic pain as well. We are a family held together by love, KT tape, understanding, mobility devices, compassion, a bunch of wicked sense of humor, silly string, cooperation, and crazy glue. We just get it done…

Hi, I’m Bridger I have high functioning autism. My dreams to travel the world. Exploring every place imaginably.

I don’t have much of a physical disablity anymore. That means, I just have to deal with social issues. My communication face to face can be kind of choppy. Online though it’s a walk in the park. I do have development issues and come off weird as hell sometimes.

1 Like

Hi Richard. Welcome to accessibleGO. That’s a great dream, to travel the world.

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.” Where’s your next trip going to be?

Love the photo! Way to go.

My plans include Asia, Europe, and eventually the Middle East. I like the idea of not being held down to one place. It’s kind of a dream of mine to travel for 15+ years around the whole world. It might happen but a little later in my life.

My college actually has a exchange program. Might head down for a few years to Germany or Switzerland to study. It will be a great experience. Although for at least two years. I’ll be at my towns local university. Wish me luck :wink:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Suggestions for Preventing Damage to Powerchairs

Hi Daniel. I’m Robin. 60 YO and have Myotonnic Dystrophy 1. I’m still able to walk with some difficulty. Does ClubGo have a travel companion program.

1 Like

Hi,
My name is Francine, I am 77 and live with my husband in a Retirement community. My husband is more mobile than I am, but he has some vision issues and consequently limits his driving. I have orthopedic issues, including two knee replacements as well as revision which has resulted in serious waking abilities followed by a fall that left me unable to walk except for short distance. Need to use power chair or transport chair to go out.
Looking for ideas for traveling, in general. Enjoying this forum.

1 Like

Hi Robin (@garynrob)! Thanks for the question. People with disabilities and their caregivers can join accessibleGO’s traveler’s club.

Currently you need a disability parking permit or have membership with one of our non-profit partners in order access the hotel deals which are not available to the public. However, we will soon be updating our traveler’s club so more people can join even if they don’t have membership with one of our non-profit partner organizations.

To join the traveler’s club on accessibleGO, log into accessibleGO.com, then click on “clubGO” from your profile’s menu. Note that you have to leave the forum and return to the main site first.

You can also try using this link:
https://accessiblego.com/account then click on “clubGO” from the menu and follow the steps to join. Happy to help if you get stuck at any point. :slight_smile:

HI all!

I am 27 with a spinal injury from when I was a paramedic. I’m able to walk with some difficulty, and sometimes use a cane. I struggle with feeling like an imposter because I don’t always show on the outside how much pain I’m in. It sucks having people question whether I really need that seat on the bus or not, because I look young and healthy.

It’s nice to have a community of people to talk to around traveling with disabilities. I cannot stand for very long, and I’ve had a lot of trouble, most notably in airports, waiting in lines for security or customs.

Thanks y’all for being here!

1 Like

Hi @dbclindholm! Welcome to accessibleGO! I know exactly what you mean about having people question whether you really need the seat on the bus or not. I’m sorry you have to face that. Here’s what our family does in those situations: Disabilities that can’t be seen

Have you tried requesting an airline’s free wheelchair service at the airport? It makes a big difference to be wheeled to the check in counters and be seated during the line for security check. Just call the airline beforehand and tell them you will need the wheelchair assistance service.

Hi my name is Tony - I’m from Grand Rapids Michigan and have Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. Married and have two kids; always struggled to find accessible accommodations for a family of four. Looking to do a West Coast trip or even a cruise.

1 Like

Hi @tdeller7! Glad to hear you’ve got some destinations in mind. Let us all know how we can help you along the way. There are some forum threads here about accessible cruises that may help you get started.

Hello! I’m Sue and I’m fairly new to the accessibility game. Due to steroid meds after a bone marrow transplant, my spine is compressing badly. I used to travel widely on business and for fun, but after three spine surgeries, I can walk only a short distance and can’t stand for more than a few minutes. Having my wings clipped for three years has been a challenge, but I now have a scooter and am trying to figure out the best way to transfer it from place to place overseas, especially when I travel alone. I’d appreciate any advice on that! Thanks and good luck to everyone!

ps - I’ve had a blue tag for several years, but after moving across the country, I don’t have an official card that can be photocopied. Can I still qualify for hotel discounts?

My name is Evelyn Hodges. My husband is an amputee who usually uses a collapsible wheelchair. He can transfer to a car but cannot climb steps on a bus. We love to travel and love to cruise. We are currently booked on two cruises. The first is on RC Vision of the Seas going from San Juan to Barbados, st George, Roseau, st Martin and st Thomas. The second cruise is on princess going to Hawaii, Hilo, Honalulu, Kauai. Any ideas about accessible places to visit would be appreciated. Also if anyone has used a private tour they liked, I would like recommendations

Hi, I’m Carolyn
Lifelong disabilities due to premature birth. Lived/worked “normally” ;was a nurse almost 20 yrs til my hip problems and RA became too severe and I went on disability in 2009. Am powerchair bound for mobility except for a little around my apartment then it’s a walker. This summer my cousin and I are planning a roadtrip from here in Texas to the East coast

Hi my name is Kathy and I have multiple sclerosis and use a wheelchair. My husband and I love to get out of “dodge” every now and than. We both have great attitudes but traveling in the hotel venue, you can’t just wing it. I love to see people with disabilities live life to the fullest.

1 Like

Hi, my name is Nicolas and I’m 35 gay and Disabled. I’m so glad to have a partner that accept me though thick and thin. I’m happy to hear from you soon.

1 Like

I’m Susan. Retired from the field of Child Development. Trying to figure out how to manage “pull” luggage while using a rollator!

1 Like

Hi Daniel, my husband has Parkinson/Lewy body dementia. He’s in early stage but the diagnosis took two years. I’m his wife caregiver supported by long term care home care givers. it’s a big challenge. believe it or not, I have two disabilities: one vision Low vision from birth and a second diagnosed in my mid 50s with MS. We are both retired living in Ocala Florida with family in Washington/N. Virginia and DundAulk, Md outside Baltimore. I came to Central Florida after my Dad passed to live close to my Mom. I’m an only child,. Mom is healthy but has hearing loss and memory problems at age 94.

1 Like