Introduce Yourself!

Hi Teri! We are glad you found us too. I find that they always put the shampoo, conditioner, and such on the highest possible shelves…impossible!

1 Like

Howdy!

My name is Eric “Mr. Q” Quander- amputee, actor and accessibility advocate. Currently, I am a Lead Advocate with the Coalition and a Global Mobility Ambassador for PENTA Medical Recycling, an organization whose mission is to provide prosthetics to amputees around the world.

In my Official role as a Global Mobility Ambassador, I am committed to encouraging amputees to “GO HIGHER!” and live their best lives by traveling. Accordingly, I will be visiting Thailand in the Summer of 2022 on a touring and goodwill mission to connect with institutions, organizations and individuals active in the Thai amputee community. My journey to the “Land of Smiles” includes exploring accommodations, activities, attractions and resources for amputee adventurers. The entire experience will be shared with my dedicated audience and followers via a series of articles in AMPLITUDE, my growing podcast and as a guest and interview subject on multiple platforms. I would very much like to share my journey with other amputees.

Please feel free to find me on FB or visit: www.heismrq@gmail.com.

3 Likes

Hi Eric! Nice to e-meet you. :slight_smile: That sounds like a great trip. I have been to Thailand once, and it was such a wonderful time, I would return in a heart beat. Please continue to share your travels, we would love to hear about them!

Hi all! I see that this has been around for sometime, don’t know why I just found it!! So glad I have!

1. I have Parkinsons and with mostly gait issues, but it affects my voice and handwriting also. I have been struggling when we travel on many fronts, most of which you are all very familiar with! I am not wheelchair dependent and can only imagine what they have to deal with!
  2.  WHY are all of the handicapped bathroom stalls all the way at the back of the long row of stalls in most rest stops?? WHY do they have no help on the doors for those stalls? No cord or auto close, not even a strap to pull it closed, as well as more often than not, the closure/locks are broken??

3. HOW does a handicapped room have a high bed, with not step stool etc. to get into it, or even a normal height toilet? (but we have railings…)
  4. WHY are the handicapped rooms way down the hallway??, most of the time quite a hike to reach?
    We have learned to ask specific questions, but even then we often get to the hotel and find it is not truly handicapped accessible.

I think that hotels should have a handicapped person advisory board consisting of various challenges, including amputees (with all of our diabetic and military people this is a significant population that may have needs that I am not aware of), blind or low light clients (like macular degeneration in our elderly/diabetics/glaucoma), wheelchair bound, and gait issues, including those, like me, that cannot lift their feet up very high (less than 4 inches).,and hearing loss/deaf clients.

some chains seem better than others, but we have mostly found that it varies greatly from each individual site to another, even in those that are generally better.

Does anyone know if businesses have such an advisory group?? I find that even public building that are supposedly handicapped accessible are often not so much.
Does anyone know of a hotel chain that specializes in being accessible?

I am 72 and was formally diagnosed parkinsons 9 years ago, mildly progressive, still able to work somewhat but not in my normal work environment ( I am a family physician and can only do telehealth now)

Please share your frustrations/challenges and report on what you have found to that works or helps. We now have a small step stool, it cost $5 in 5 below and folds flat, to help with the high beds! I keep it under our backseat in the car and it is always there if we need it. I have used the gideons bible that is in the hotels to stand on at times before we got the step stool!.

I am excited to be part of
this group!

Howdy!

i’m Mr. Q, am LBKA moving to Thailand in a month or so. I, my wife and young son will be traveling the country, exploring the accessibility to various tourist sites, attractions and activities. Where in Thailand are you? We are planning to call Hua Hin home.

Hi and welcome to accessibleGO! These are all great questions and concerns. There are so many accessibility issues that disabled people continue to face at hotels. Shortly after you posted this, there is actually another thread HERE on making hotel rooms more accessible. As this thread is a bit more focused on introductions, we would recommend jumping over there so we can all share recommendations.

Personally, I typically flip the trash cans over and use that as a step stool to get into the beds.

We are glad to have you! :airplane: :wheelchair: :wave:

Hi my name is Cyndi and I am a disabled senior, I have been a travel agent since 2005 and I have been disabled for approximately 7 years, and I love to travel and I’m having to learn how to travel differently ,

so I take my scooter and my wheelchair and make my rounds wherever I can go I’m looking forward to making new travel friends.

1 Like

Hi Cyndi! Welcome to our community! We are excited to have you and hear about your travels.

1 Like

I’m Tina, a blindie who enjoys travel whenever possible. I’m a big fan of Disney animation and film so what better way to get a piece of joy from that than going to one of my favorite places on the west coast than Disneyland! I was in the middle of a great day on a trip with a friend who’s never been that also happens to be a blindie. I wanted to take a moment to catch up with the fashionista that is Minnie who loves her polka dots as much as I do.

Hi Tina! Thanks for sharing. Love the pic. And welcome to our community! We are happy to have you here! :star_struck:

Hi i appreciate the welcome! Good to meet ya’ll.

1 Like

Hi - My name is Betsy, and my husband has mobility issues, and is 100% rollator dependent. I am trying to transition him to a mobility scooter when we travel, but also locally, when we go places like museums when a lot of walking is involved because he tires easily with the rollator. I think once he gets a taste of using a mobility scooter, he might consider owning one and using it all the time. We are traveling to Branson, MO in a few weeks (June 11-18) and staying in a 10 BR home with lots of family from various places, and fortunately it has a couple of ground floor bedrooms that are ADA. So I’ll be looking for accessible things to do in Branson, but also looking for possibly daily mobility scooter rentals. We are also going on a 7-day NCL cruise out of Port Canaveral in November, and I’m looking into renting a mobility scooter to be delivered to the port.

1 Like

My name is Henry, I live in Southern California. I am a full time wheelchair user (paraplegic), and I’ve been pretty much a homebody since the start of the pandemic and am ready to do a little traveling with my girlfriend.
I/we have a bucket list of destinations and I’m glad to have come across your site! Just what i need to help relieve some of the anxiety of wondering if i will be able to enjoy being at my destination, or spend much of the time struggling with accessibility issues or not being able to enjoy some places due to non-accessibilty.

1 Like

Hi Betsy! Welcome to our community, we are happy to have you! This sounds like a great trip. We recommend creating a separate post on requesting info on Branson and the cruise to source from the community to ensure it does not get buried in the intros. We can repost it for you as well! :slight_smile:

Hi Henry! Welcome!! :wave: We are glad you have found us. We have a wonderful community filled with accessibility-minded travelers all focused on ensuring traveling is filled with fun and as much carefree-ness as possible. :slight_smile:

Hello!

I contracted polio shortly after I was born, in Vietnam, when they did not have the vaccine. I could not walk or talk when I was adopted. I was raised to walk (hop) with leg braces and crutches and I am glad since I didn’t have to depend on someone pushing me around. I went to school with mostly capable people. I got married and had 3 children. Basically I lived my life as normal as possible, just did things a little bit differently and probably a little bit slower than the non-disabled people. I only recently starting using a wheelchair (almost full time) but before then I got around with my leg braces and crutches. Of course I still use my leg braces and crutches (it’s nice to be able to wheel around fast but still have the means to stand up and hop around, to stretch my body out a bit).

I love to drive since I have hand-controls so I love to take road trips (as well as I do drive for Lyft for extra income to add to my regular job income). In 2020, I drove from Colorado to Tennessee with my oldest child to surprise my dad for his birthday. Also in 2020, I flew alone to Portland, OR, to surprise my Mom for her birthday. It was great bypassing the long lines of security check but I do not really like having to be pat down every time. I was able to rent a car with hand controls so I could drive my mother and me around Portland (my mother no longer has a car, therefore no longer drives and I wasn’t feeling up to having to take a bus or walk everywhere). Back in 2016, I drove from Texas to Colorado to see my brothers sons HS graduation and also visit my adult children (since they moved back to Colorado before I could).

Just recently, my 3 adult children treated me to a week-long trip to NY, NY. I brought my manual wheelchair so I could get around New York better and quicker (and my children took turns pushing me). I would have to say, though, I wish there were more handicap accessible areas to the subways because they would be only at certain stops and sometimes they would close it for a period of time and we would have to go to another stop or take a different subway then another one to connect to the actual subway we needed (it was cumbersome at times for my children). And for the flying bit or going to a Broadway show or going to some of the tourist sites, the attendants would only allow one person to be with me (to “cut” lines) and the rest of the party would have to go back in the line so I would still have to wait for the rest of my family to catch up. Other than those hiccups, trip was grand!

I have yet to come up with another travel vacation plan for the rest of my paid time off, this year.

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Russ Wiener and my wife and I like to travel. Unfortunately my wife is confined to a wheelchair due to MS so traveling has lots of issues. Even so we enjoy visiting National Parks, Museums, and lots of other places of interest. I am interested in communicating with other couples who have similar interests and issues with traveling and sharing experiences and incites.

I have had reasonable but not perfect experiences with Marriott. Marriott has an ADA office that you can call and speak with regarding your reservations. I would ask for photos of the room that you are booking and specifically ask for the accommodations that you require. I find this has been helpful, but it is a good idea also to speak directly with the manager of the specific hotel you plan on staying at.

1 Like

Hi Saskia! Welcome to our community. We are happy to have you here. These all sound like wonderful trips and we hope you can use our site to find inspiration for your next one.

Hi Russ! Welcome welcome! Thank you for joining our community and find people with similar interests.