Introduce Yourself!

Hi Daniel nice to meet you

Welcome and if you have any questions post them

1 Like

Hi I am David I am from the UK and I have multipuble disabiities such as Autism, VIsual Impaired and hand eye coordination issues

Hi welcome :smiley: hope you find your travels enjoyable and safe.

Hi My name is Jessica Minerd-Massey.
I recently was out in a powerchair/wheelchair due to pain & mobility issues.

I’ve been a CPP (Chronic Pain Patient) activist for a few years now & am trying to get to Washington DC for the Pain Patient Protest Oct 20th, 12p-2p at Union Sq.

Feel free to look me up on FB, Twitter ( @MasseyMinerd) & TikTok (@og1anomaly).

I have a room & flight (set up by the charity I work with). The person making the reservations is going through a lot & just forgot I’d need to get from the airport to the hotel wih my powerchair.

I joined this hoping to find a way to do this.

Some background: I was injured at work in 2003 & had 15 surgeries between 2004-2013. Almost half of those were emergency revisions, due to parts failing or other complications.
Although “technically” I can walk, I have to use 2 canes & can’t go more than a few feet.

I used to love traveling and being outside, worked full time at a custom hardwood door company & had my own small art & flat glass business.

If anyone can offer any tips on ways I can get from the airport (DCA) to the hotel (Yotel DC)or suggest a business/transport company I could use, I’d be extremely grateful.

Thank you, wishing everyone a low pain day!

My name is Janet and my grandson was injured in a fall three years ago and is now a quadriplegic. I arranged hotel rooms for him and his father as they traveled from Alabama to CA. Some of the rooms were seriously lacking as certified ADA rooms. I am hoping to learn how to find rooms that will accommodate his electric wheelchair and find roll in showers, etc.

Hello, my name is Kathy. I’ve been married to my wonderful husband for 35 years. We have a beautiful daughter, an amazing son in law and multiple grandchildren. About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Fibro. I had no idea how that diagnosis would affect me. Jumping forward to May of 2021, my mom was coming to visit; she has difficulty walking for any length of time due to multiple health issues. In looking to find a scooter rental for her, I realized our community was lacking in accessibility products. Realizing that this gap needed to be filled, I opened a mobility store in December 2021. My goal is to provide a much needed service to my local community, as well as, become an advocate and source of knowledge for the our community. I am always on the lookout for sites like this, that I can share.
I am located in western North Carolina, on the Georgia and Tennessee borders.

2 Likes

Hi Kathy! We are glad you are here. :star_struck: Agree, we need sites like this to increase knowledge in our community. Here to share what we know and find out what we don’t! :mag_right:

Hi, my name is Gail, my son is a c4 quad and an attorney. I found your site after much searching and frustrating time looking for hotels which would allow us to use our Hoyer lift to transfer him.seems they’re all enamored of these box frames. Any ideas anyone?

1 Like

We have a great understanding of what you mean about handicap accessible and wheelchair accessible after 18 months ago when my husband became an above the left knee amputee. We had dealt with our young son with the disability of autism but the handicap realm was a big awakening. You call somewhere and tell them you need a handicap accessible room and they say they will put it as a request. No, it’s not a request, it’s a requirement. Also, handicap accessible is not the same as wheelchair accessible…no he can’t navigate those three stairs in his wheelchair even if you have those rails :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’m Judy. I live in Massachusetts. I have Elhers-Danlos Syndrome type 1 with POTS. I can still walk short distances and would like to continue to walk and move. I’ve had lots of surgeries, especially spinal, and have chronic pain. My disbility is invisable. I own my own business and continue to push myself through the pain to be there for my fantastic staff. Travelling his very hard, but I love seeing new places. I’m married. Have a daughter in NY and step-daughter in Ecuador. Always open to new travel ideas.

Hi all! Welcome welcome! We are glad to have each of you to share all the knowledge, tips and tricks on traveling with a disability. If you have any questions on specific things always feel free to reach out! Happy traveling :airplane:

Hi! We are Tom and Cory Schroeder from Bucks County PA. We LOVE travelling but have curtailed it quite a bit these last few years, primarily due to Covid, but also because our “issues” make it more difficult.

Both of us have ambulatory problems. We use rollators to help us get around. Crippling arthritis
and painful spinal issues plague us both. But we try not to let these things stop us. We travel with equipment that helps make life more like home, but that is bulky and cumbersome, limiting how we can travel. I have learned it is possible to find/rent some of what we need at many destinations. Not completely convenient but helpful.

2 Likes

Hi I’m Kim ,
I was born with a very rare syndrome. I have chronic pain because of it. Lots of my issues are invisible to others. I’m happy to be a part of this group with others who understand. I love to travel, although sometimes it’s not always easy to do so.
Thank you for letting me join.
Kim D

1 Like

Welcome Tom & Cory! We are excited you are here! Let us know of any specific questions you may have. We are here to help!

Hi Kim! Thank YOU for joining us. We are excited you are here!

Thank you for including us.

Has anyone tried rail travel tours before?

Thank you for your question! There are actually a number of posts about rail travel so if you click the search icon in the upper right corner and type Amtrak or other providers, you’ll see some really helpful posts there.

Hi My name is Trella Adams. I am new to the group. I have some disabilities. Most days I hurt but I try to keep going because I want to live to see my grandson grow up. He is 3 years old and I want to travel the world with him. I Love baking and cooking because I am at peace whenever I am in my kitchen.

1 Like

Hi, my name is Bill, I live in Idaho. I am new to this site, and look forward to using the website. Thanks