Introduce Yourself!

Hi @dolloff.ross! Emily here from accessibleGO. I saw your post a few days back, and definitely hear your concern and understand many hotels aren’t a great fit for many due to this. It would be much more helpful if hotels began to report on this in addition to what they already report on.

There needs to be many improvements made to the ADA to make it more inclusive as what exists today is outdated and more often than not, the bare minimum.

Here at accessibleGO, when you book with us and let us know of your accessibility needs, we call the hotel to ensure you are getting what you need. We work with the hotels to ensure you are accommodated and comfortable for your stay.

I hope this helps and welcome to our site and forum! We are always here to answer questions and hear feedback to improve for all disabled people! You can also always email us at contact@accessibleGO.com.

Happy traveling; it’s our world too!! :earth_africa: :wheelchair:

I’m Mark Suenram, a progressive T10 para due to a spinal cord tumor diagnosed and treated 50 years ago. The radiation treatment is having it’s effect. I use a small mobility chair and a walker. Have traveled Northern Italy quite a bit. We are planning a road trip to Idaho and would appreciate recommendations from the group. Thanks Mark

1 Like

Hi I’m a 80 year old African America and use a mobility scooter because I can’t walk far due to Arthritis. I would like to join a travel group that would allow me to visit with my scooter. I would like to visit historical African American sites to include Washington DC and Williamsburg VA and Southern soul food restaurants. and other states with historical history.

1 Like

Hi Mark! Emily here from accessibleGO. Northern Italy sounds amazing! I have never been and definitely need a Eurotrip in my near future…

Welcome to our community! It’s a wonderful little corner of the internet, and growing all the time. Sometimes questions in the intro thread get a bit lost, so if you have any specific questions on Idaho or need suggestions, I would recommend posting them in a new topic! :slight_smile:

Hi hi!!! Welcome to accessibleGO. I’m Emily, and I’m one of the moderators and manage the social media.

Those sound like great trips! I was just in DC a few weeks ago and had a wonderful time. And many of the historical sites are ADA compliant as they are open to the public / re-imagined/built for tourists.

Welcome again!!

Hello Everyone, my name is Karri. I was born with Spina Bifida. I will be 43 on Sept 30th. I am a empty nester & I just got my passport a few weeks ago. Looking forward to traveling soon.

Hi Karri! Welcome to our community and happy early birthday!! Now that you have your passport, what’s first on your list of where to go? :slight_smile:

Hi Emily & thank you. I am thinking about going to India. My daughter is there for a Fellowship that she got accepted for after she graduated college this past May 2022.

Hey :wave: im Katie!

39yr old quad since 2015.
Finally trying to figure out how to travel very nervous about it since my 1st time didn’t go well was stuck in the room most of the time, and had to call the fire department to come move the bed :person_facepalming:! So any suggestions would be helpful!!

Thanks
Katie :grin:

1 Like

Hi all! My name is Leslie Gafford, and I live in Mobile, AL.

I am myself able-bodied, or relatively speaking anyway at age 57, but I lost my husband to ALS on 5/5/2021 after an almost 3 year battle to reach a diagnosis and then live with the beast. His diagnosis came on 5/14/2019, so he lived less than two years from diagnosis. While he was living with ALS, I wanted desperately to plan one final family vacation for us and our three kids. They were 18, 20, and 22 when John died, and due to their age differences, we had not been able to take a whole family vacation during “normal” times, because my daughter was in college and studying abroad during the summers, so my younger two didn’t have the same holidays and open options as her. Basically, she didn’t vacation with us as a whole family from 2016 on. I knew what we were facing, and myself and the kids discussed the inevitable regularly, no hiding anything, no protecting anyone, but ALL agreed that it would be great to get John out of the house and back into nature, even if it was going to be the last time. That was spring of 2020, when I attempted to find an accessible vacation location or offering. I only had about a year of experience with fighting the LACK of accessibility, but I could look at houses and condos and other advertised “accessible” options, and I could pretty quickly spot the flaws, the skinny doors, the one-two steps to get in, the lack of open space for a caregiver to assist…you know the list is endless. I was stressed out, tired, sad, and then pretty quickly MAD that this seemed to be the norm. I’d already torn my rotator cuff pulling John out of our house onto the patio, with just a tiny threshold lip, so I knew the possibilities for trouble and danger. I basically gave up in June of 2020, as John suddenly progressed from walker and sometimes wheelchair needs to only wheelchair and hospital bed in the “playroom” of our decidedly unaccessible tri-level home. I gave up on OUR vacation plans and hopes, but I immediately felt the tug of an idea to change the narrative, albeit after John’s passing. The writing was on the wall for us, but I wanted desperately to give other patients and families like us the opportunity to stay in a distinctly modified and dedicated accessible home, with everything geared toward the patient’s needs, safety, the caregiver’s need for downtime and “comfort” in how accessible and safe a location would be. I knew the pitfalls, the stressors, the dangers, from living with them and watching my husband and my kids fight daily to do no more harm to John. He spent the final 7 months of his life in a hospital bed in our playroom, because our home was so inappropriately designed for accessibility. YES, I considered moving, remodeling…but with becoming a widow at age 56 looking likely, those moves might have created more financial hardship for myself and my kids once we lost John. I decided to wait it out and just give my love and support to John and our family.

BUT…13 days after John died, I was reminded of the basis work I had put in, the business plan loosely written up, the mission of my project, and the fact that I knew in my heart it would have made a difference had we been able to make some new memories, some POSITIVE memories, before losing John. I thought of all of the things he’d been left out of since his diagnosis and progression, simply because to have included him might have brought injury and further progression. He could no longer watch his two boys learning to grill and smoke things out on the patio, something he was amazing at, and as their talents grew, I agonized over only being able to offer him food for a meal, rather than having him out there supervising and giving “support” and encouragement to them. Birthday parties and holidays started taking place at our home almost exclusively, but he was generally left out of the majority of the gathering, and that sucked. My daughter had graduated Summa cum laude in December of 2019 and was willing to not pursue an international job so that she could assist with her Dad, because she believed she would be the one with the time and ability to help - between Covid, his progression, and the lack of dignity many times afforded patients living with ALS, her whole plan was derailed; she couldn’t lift him by herself, nor could she do many other things for him, which I’m so sure many of you know. Covid landed our youngest’s high school graduation in a local football stadium that was technically accessible, but for me, a big leap to get him in and out, so John had to watch from home on the local schools website. I absolutely began to HATE how hard it was to include John in things.

I came up with a plan, spotted the perfect home in a quiet and peaceful waterfront setting in southeastern Alabama, and John-boy’s Place and Windchime Wishes Limited were born, May 18, 2021. I resurrected my previous writings from June of 2020, started the process of purchasing the home, created the nonprofit and began making my dream come true to help patients and families living with disabilities find a simple, modified, dedicated accessible vacation home where the goal is not much more than making big memories doing little things. Down time, inclusivity, safety, serenity…all located in one place and geared toward supporting the patient, which then trickles down to the caregiver and the family. I’m still working on it, and with the help of the Gleason Foundation, I hope to have my first family stay there for a free week in October of this year. I am actively looking to share what I have learned, and what I have created, with the community of patients and familial caregivers who are now facing what we faced then. It’s a simple concept, but it means the world to me. I’m not here to claim victory over accessibility or ALS or anything else, but I do want to get the word out and maybe help someone in our area. I also want to be able to share outside of the Alabama, Florida, Mississippi area…and maybe expand my reach in helping those that need it. ALS is where our story came from, but I am open to discussing any other diseases or conditions that create those extreme mobility challenges and therefore limit people’s abilities to enjoy life and nature. Thank you for listening

1 Like

Hi @wr.llc2021. Thank you for sharing your story. I am a member of an ALS exchange group and I saw one of your previous posts. I am glad to see you are still going forward!! I’ve never vacation in Alabama, but I sure am going to check it out. I wish you the best in helping families create memories.

Hi, I am Louise Lumpkin single parent with one daughter who help me out daily. I have trouble walking but I want to do things with my granddaughter. I been on cruthes for 2yrs so far.

My friends call me Jimmy. My stage name is Jimmy Ray Lawton. I have been performing for audiences since I was a first soprano in the National Cathedral Choir. I play guitar, ‘ukulele, electric bass, and harmonica.
My wife and I have three poodles.
I am a T-5 level paraplegic, incomplete, from a fall in 1971.
We love to travel, and I’m looking forward to learning travel tips from others in this group.
Here’s a tip: pack a small roll of scotch tape to hold that Privacy siren that slips off the room door handle every time you open the door.

2 Likes

Hi there im joel moreno a para in a manual wheelchair and do dyalisus

Hi everyone!! Emily here from accessibleGO. Welcome, welcome! :wave:

Hi,
My name is Lee. I am a recent quadrimembral amputee, living in British Columbia, Canada. My wife and I have started to travel again, with two flights & one road trip accomplished since my rehabilitation, and looking forward to sharing advice on this site

1 Like

Hi Lee! We’re happy that you have found accessibleGO. That’s great to hear! Where have y’all gone?

Hi, I’m Debi from Canyon Country, north of Los Angeles. I’m a mom of two and a grandma of three. I was diagnosed with MS in 2021 and medically retired. I walk with a cane or trekking poles and my cognition and speech are mildly affected, especially when stressed or even excited. I traveled a bit for work and with family but am hoping to travel with friends and maybe even alone. I’m interested to hear tips and tricks.

1 Like

Hi Debi! Welcome, welcome. There is plenty of wonderful information on our forum every day! <3

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome!