Introducing me and www.paintthetownmobile.com

Hello everyone. My name is Diane Wildowsky and my friend and I have started a new website/blog helping people navigate NYC using a mobility scooter. I include wheelchairs where I can. I ride the subway and buses almost daily with my scooter. And while a restroom might be marked “accessible,” you learn very quickly, it isn’t always accessible for everyone. Look forward to meeting you all and happy to answer questions. Thank you in advance for taking time to look at our site.

2 Likes

Thank you! This will be a big help for many of us since i prefer to use mass transit

2 Likes

Wonderful! I love to come to NYC 2x’s per year to eat and shop…I’m alone…but getting harder for me to walk far…if I could bring or rent a scooter would be terrific! (74 yrs old)

1 Like

Wow, I wish I had known about your site sooner. Every few years hubby and I meet my son in NYC for a theater weekend and catch up with relatives.

I use a power wheelchair to get around and boy is it difficult in the theater district and Times Square. Does your site include theaters with accessible bathrooms and restaurants with the same?

2 Likes

That’s great. If you have any questions about your next visit, please reach out. Happy to answer them if I can. :slight_smile:

Let me know when you plan your next trip. Happy to suggest rental companies and good places to go!

This is great. I would love to visit NYC, especially for Broadway. My husband and I both use scooters. We are new to being disabled. I will definitely check out your site. Do you know if seeing Broadway shows and staying near the theaters doable?

1 Like

We haven’t done the theatres yet; that’s on our list for the coming months. In talking with some wheelchair users however, I’ve hear not such great things. It really depends on the theatre–of course new construction means truly accessible bathrooms, but the other theatres that have been retrofitted are generally not so good. If you know the play you want to see. I am happy to check out the theatre for you ahead of our planned tour. Our goal is to get inside most if not all of the theatres using my scooter to see first-hand what is really accessible.

Working on the museums in the meantime.

Thank you.

Diane

What a great idea. I wiuld have loved that assistance when I wss last there. I had contacted the concierge at the Marriott Marquis, where we stayed, and was durected to Apple a Day for renting a mobility scooter. They delivered it to the Bell Captain 's stand and I took it there for them to pick up after my departure.
I was pleased that the sidewalks had curb cuts at tge corners which msde my lufe easier abd I wiuld say gor the most part, peopke who were walking were accommodating to me and my scooter. I found the stores and some restaurants were not so accommodating especially with regard to their restrooms. I find that all over so it is not just NYC. Some think as long as they slap up a grab bar it ls accessible. HA. I think the worst was the Civic Center in Savannah, GA. We were in the city for an Elton John concert and were staying in a hotel faurly close by in the historic district. My son drove my van to tye Civic Center and we see a parking lot designsted for handicapped. Wrong. You had to have a siecial permit to use that. We returned to the hotel and took Uber over. Inside they directed me to a freight elevator. I’m not joking. My son agd girlfriend walked down a flight of steps to the “floor” level. We met there. Theur handicapped accessibke sections (there were 2 of these) consisted of some plywood built up several feet above the ground with a plywood ramp. Then it had been floored with sheets of plywood. First come, first served was the seating arrangement. I had reserved one handicapped seat plus 2 companion seats. That meant space for my powerchair plus 2 folding metal chairs. Whenevercanyone in front needed to use the restroom that meant that everyone behind that row of people had to get up or move their scooter or chair in order for that person leaving to have room to turn around and leave. Then upon his/her return once again everyone around where that person had been sitting had to once again get out of the way for that person to return to their spsce. I went ibto tte hallway looking fir a ladies room avd see a bkue handicapped sign so I head towards it only to find you had to have a special key or pass to usecit. I came back to the main ladies room in ttat hallway and ipon entering it finally found the one and only stall fir handicapped. All of the other dozen or so stalls had the usual metal doors but the very last stall along that wall which was the handicapped stall. It had no door, no curtain, nothing. It was just an open stall and they had run a couple of pieces of white PVC pipe down the 2 side walls near the commode and slapped a sign saying it was handicapped.

I was in NYC last spring; rented a scooter; stayed near the things I wanted to see in midtown and then was delighted to find that virtually every taxi can carry a scooter! It may require the driver to set things up, but every driver I found did so good-naturedly. Amazing. Made it so easy to visit a museum in Brooklyn! Went to a Broadway show and was treated royally. Since I can walk very short distances, I was instructed to park the scooter next to the inside door by the seats, then I took the key and walked a few feet to my seat. They also have spaces for anyone who needs to remain in a chair or scooter. Had a great time. Several scooter rental agencies to choose from; a modest fee included delivery and pickup to/from the hotel. Used standard hotel room.

Thanks. Not sure yet which theater. Still in the very early stages of planning. It would be cool if doable.

If I can be of any help, let me know.