Looking for recommendations for accessible resorts in Cancun

I will be traveling in December with my family which includes a 2yr old so Adult only is not an option. I will be taking my powerchair and a three wheeled walker. I can walk very short distances and can do stairs independently if there are rails on both sides and if no rails, with two people. Have you stayed somewhere that’s wheelchair accessible, yet may have a few limitations? Thanks in advance!!

2 Likes

Try www.travelability.net and click on the link to “Destinations with Accessibility,” where there are things to do in more than 140 destinations in America, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.

1 Like

Hi,
Yes I have stayed in Puerto Vallarta and my limitation was access to the beach for restaurants and boat cruises. The sand can be a pain, Cancun is well equipped for that I have to say, they can provide wheelchair straight to the water depending of the resort this is free for guests.

Enjoy, it will be great .
Alex

1 Like

Cancun it is better if you stay in the hotel zone at an American styled hotel both for comfort and accessibility. The sidewalk out front that runs between hotels and restaurants or bars is wide and fairly flat. Be careful of walking on the lagoon side because there are alligators, not joking.

Not sure when you are coming down but right now it is the rainy season and it has rained daily for over a month, come prepared. Also Cancun has been hit by a red tide and sargassum. The red tide is something that comes and goes in waves, the sargassum seems to be lingering this year. Mostly the hotels have cleaned up in front of their beaches daily but there has been a smell associated with the decaying seaweed rotting. It’s hurricane season also so you might want to consider trip insurance.

1 Like