Monterey California

Any information would be helpful. Very new to this type of travel. Thanks so much.

Contact Monterey-Salinas ParaTransit; have your local ParaTransit send your qualification to them and you will have “visitor” status. They will take you and a companion anywhere County-wide for very little. 1-831-296-8821.

Cannery Row is fairly accessible. Some shops aren’t, but most are. We love to have lunch at El Torito on Cannery Row, where they have water-front tables with wonderful views-and great fajitas!

Monterey Bay Aquaruim is fully accessible and a must-see.

The absolute best thing to do is Monterey Bay Eco Tours.

They take you out in a fully-accessible catamaran on calm flat water to view Elkhorn Slough marina and lots of wildlife! It’s awesome, and MST ParaTransist will take you there and back

1 Like

Monterey Bay Aquarium is one of my absolute favorite places!
Here’s the link to their accessibility page:
https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/visit/visitor-faqs/accessibility-and-inclusion

I also have stayed at Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove (back when it was a Howard Johnson) and it was a nice place to stay, clean and comfortable. I did not stay in an accessible room but it looks like they do have them listed online. (see here)

I also stayed at the Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa which is gorgeous and on the water but did not stay in an accessible room. (see here. )

My husband and I travelled to Monterey many times in 2018 and 2019 because of his work…

As far as accessible rooms, it will depend on your needs. My husband cannot walk or stand and has very limited upper body strength. He uses a mobility scooter and needs to transfer from it to the bed and the toilet, so bed and toilet height are very important. My husband needs a bed height that is about 25 inches plus or minus an inch, and around an 18 inch toilet. We found both the Hotel Abrego and the Monterey Marriott to work for us. Note, when we first started going to Monterey the beds at the Marriott were too high, but they ended up being lower the last couple of times we stayed there.

We found the city to be very accessible and most restaurants.