New Orleans in June

Planning a trip to New Orleans in the end of June. Any suggestions for wheelchair accessible activities or restaurants

We went along Bourbon Street and the French Quarter. Some of theroads were a littlerough but we managed. The Alligator farm is pretty accissable

Sylvia:

I was in NOLA in March of 2020. Rented a mobility scooter–delivered to my hotel and they picked it up when I left. We were in the River area. I had no trouble going anywhere. Went to Emeri;'s, Bourbon Street (stopped in several places–all were welcoming) and attended business meetings in the Conference Center. Very few stairs. Almost everywhere had a ramp. NOLA and Austin are two of the most friendly handicapped cities!

The only place that was a problem was Cafe du Monde. It has become “touristy” and not like I remembered it at all.

Have fun!

Gloria

Been to New Orleans Many times With a wheelchair
Love itThere for the music and food
Most clubs are accessible on frenchman s/reet where the music is
A hidden spot i like is behind the Art gallery, the Sculpture Garden

Hi Sylvia1345; its’s Pinky :fairy:, one of your Forum Moderator’s.

First, promise me you will go for Beignets at Cafe Du Monde. Totally accessible and the one thing I must insist on. (Pre-warning: The specialty coffee there has Chicory in it in case you don’t like spicy coffee, but is good pair with Beignets). The original location is in the French Quarter on the corner of Jackson Square at 800 Decatur Street. Sadly, it’s no longer open 24 hours a day.

Anyways… I also wanted to send you a link to the New Orleans Wheelchair Friendly Guide with lots of of suggestions of places to visit in N’orleans (sounds like “na-awwww-lens”). There’s lot’s of suggestions on there with direct links to the locations. Pretty safe to assume if they gave it a link, then it connects to a business that is wheelchair accessible too.

When I think of New Orleans, all I can think of is food, Food, FOOD! (I’m not much of a street partier and no one ever asks a person in a wheelchair to flash them for beads…lol). So you also HAVE to check out Mr. B’s while you are there and you want to make sure to make reservations as this place has been very popular for over 40 years with the best Creole cooking in the all of Louisiana. Make sure you try the Gumbo Ya-Ya and have an order of the Creole Bread Pudding with Whiskey sauce for me. Accessible entrance through the parking garage.

If you manage to find your way out of the French Quarter (some don’t), down in the Warehouse district has a couple other ones to add to your list. People who know how much of a vegetarian I am, are going to laugh so hard at where I am about to suggest to you; but if you are a MEAT person, you cannot skip the Cochon Butcher :meat_on_bone: :bacon: :cut_of_meat:. This place makes ALL thier own meats for the restaurant; and an impressive variety at that.

And if you have ever been a fan of Emeril Lagasse? This one is the one for dressing up for the evening and spoiling yourself. He may not be on the Food Network anymore, but he’s still a food genius. And… if you are a vegetarian; he’s got your back here with a chef’s tasting menu that will make you drool. For everyone else, you will wall out going “WoW…WoW :exploding_head:” too; he did remember to put quite an impressive menu together for you too. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My apologies, I have not been to N’orleans since before the hurricane years ago, so my knowledge of anything else specific is slim; but please do check out that city guide for wheelchair accessible locations as well too. Although the city is a very historic city with very old buildings, there are now a lot more “ADA accessible” business because of having to rebuild after the storm and complying with current building codes.

I hope you have an AMAZING trip and you come back and share with us how everything went? And maybe what places you found that were accessible? I know I defiantly want to learn about what to visit there, as well as many others on the forum. My pre-apologies for the powdered sugar everywhere (it will make sense after you visit). Thank you for posting on the Forum. I hope we can be of help again for you.

• Have a great trip. :flight_departure:

• Keep on traveling everyone; It’s our world too! :wheelchair: :earth_americas:

• -Pinky :fairy: :kissing_heart: