New York Recommendations?

Hi! I’m traveling to NYC in a couple weeks and am looking for any recommendations when it comes to wheelchair accessible things to do. I love trying new restaurants and bars! I already am planning to visit the Met and perhaps the Guggenheim and planning to see a play.

And any recommendations on getting around besides Uber would be helpful. I have a foldable power chair and can walk a little bit, so the majority of cars are very easy for me. But any options that could be cheaper, or accessible subway tips are great.

Thanks!

1 Like

Emily, so glad your going to enjoy the city. It’s one of my favorite places. I’m only an hour out so I get to enjoy it. Are you staying in the city? Never trust a Accessible listing without checking. The MET has full service for you as well as most museums. MOMA and Naturaul history. Not the top space in the Gug. The restaurants are dicey! There is a travel list at “ I love nyc” or transports at
http://www.nycaccessibledispatch.org/ To learn about accessible taxi’s. I know from experience that a restaurant will say they have a bathroom and even list it on a website but then you realize they mean they can put out a ramp. Of course bathrooms are down a flight of stairs. Not ok! I love DiPalo’s in little Italy, but to grab lunch and use a bathroom in the area is a challenge. But I have found solutions. Let me know if you have a specific area your looking in. I hope you have a great time

Much of NYC is accessible.

I would avoid or be very cautious about Downtown Manhattan (south of Canal Street) as it is still old city and not very accessible.

The museums should be fine. For the theaters, the cheaper balcony seats are walk up only but orchestra almost always has wheelchair seating. While this can be accessed through the online booking apps, you can also call the theaters directly or speak to an Accessibiliy Rep at TDF.

Many subway stops are not accessible and you have to make sure the elevators are in service where they are (the system app does make this possible). Buses will have a wheel chair lift.

Thank you! These are both so helpful. I forgot that all the buses would have ramps, so I think I will try out that option. And good to know on the Canal St tip. I have spent some time in Brooklyn and found it largely accessible as much of it is newer. Will let y’all know of any other questions I have! Happy traveling. :slight_smile:

Hi Emily,

OMGoddess, are you traveling to the right city for Accessible activities. With the exception of things like the trapeze school and the new skyscraper climbing adventure :cityscape:in Hudson Yards; you can pretty much do anything in that city. (Just avoid restaurants and bars in basement levels there).

New York has come a long way over the years with how accessible it is :statue_of_liberty: (Accessible NYC), but I want to be fully honest with you; there are still some challenges to deal with. Although most intersections all have ramp-curbs, sidewalk levels can change from block to block; so stay aware as you venture around the city to be safe. :woman_in_motorized_wheelchair:

The best thing to do before making any specific plans to visit somewhere in the city is give them a call first. I’ve noticed most businesses have some type of accessible accommodation for entry if it’s not a zero-level entrance; but it’s not always something visible and obvious from the front door (may use a side door or service elevator from back of the building). Don’t worry, everyone is very friendly with helping make sure you get the same access as other customers; to the best of their ability. There are always the occasional mezzanine or spiral stairs to a floor below in an older building; but those seem to even be improving each time I visit.

As for transportation, besides Uber; I like to use the city’s special accessible :taxi:Yellow Cabs. They have a special app called “Accessible Dispatch NYC” and it’s available on the Apple and Android store; and very easy to use. It also has different size accessible vehicles to select from, pending what type of accommodation and amount of additional passengers traveling with you. Between you and me, I think I pay less there than I did for a regular taxi 10 years ago. They will also call your phone back right after ordering your vehicle, just to confirm exactly where you are so that the taxi goes to the exact spot. They seem to mostly be rear loaders; so try to order one near a curb-ramp to make it easier on you when they arrive.

I have one suggestion when it comes to the subway… DON”T DO IT! :flushed: Don’t get me wrong, I used to love the subway when I could walk; but it is not a good system if you are using a wheelchair or scooter. First you have to make sure that where you are starting from and where you are going has elevators :elevator:, or you can get stuck in the station you want to go to. Second, transferring from train to train can be a bit tricky and make you dizzy in some stations. Or the elevators between platforms aren’t working. It’s just too risky and not worth messing up your trip with that headache.

If I had to endorse one activity to make sure you do when in New York City, it’s see a show! What’s New York without performances? :performing_arts:Thankfully, most things in the Broadway section are accessible, but each theater has its own way of handling access to their special seating. Special inside tip**: Contact the box office of the shows you really want to see; even if it says the showtime is sold out that you want to attend. I have found that they sometimes still have their accessible tickets available through the box office only and others don’t think to ask when they noticed its sold out. You can get into some great shows that way. Here is a link that gives you more info on what you need to know about theater accessibility. And if you get a chance and your hungry, tryout Juniors Cheesecake for a meal. SOOOOOO GOOD. (Then sneak a slice of cheesecake into the theater……shhhhh). :cake:

I don’t want to pretend to be an expert about anything in NYC, especially with so many of our AccessibleGo members who actually are and know that city inside and out. Now if you want to see a Drag Show or hit a Ball, then I’m your person. :dancing_women:

Can’t wait to hear how your trip went. Please come back and share with everyone how it went and what you did. We would love to hear what you found and hopefully it will help the next person wanting to head to the Big Apple? (And eat… every chance you can get there!)

Have a great trip. :flight_departure:

Keep on traveling everyone; It’s our world too! :wheelchair: :earth_americas:

-Russell :kissing_heart:

Hi Emily.

Here’s a link to wheelchair accessible places in NYC.

https://wheelchairtraveling.com/top-15-accessible-attractions-new-york-ny-wheelchair-travel/

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Also, fyi, I recently spent a week in NYC. I can walk short distances but not stand still for more than five minutes. What I’ve done in NYC and San Francisco is 1) use the airport wheelchair service 2) choose lodging near my museums, galleries, theater and other points of interest 3) have a rental scooter delivered to my hotel 4) and off I go. I found scooter rental to be pretty reasonable, and hotels were most accommodating. NYC was great - accessible taxis everywhere. The opposite was true in SF - hard to find any kind of taxi, so I rode the accessible city bus, and went on a couple of “walking” tours. Future travel to Savannah: the hotel even recommended a scooter service! Off to eastern Canada by train (Montreal, Quebec and Halifax).and will rent scooters in Quebec and Halifax.Hope this helps!