Public transportation in resort cities for wheelchair users

From a community member:

My husband and I both use large electric wheelchair. We would greatly appreciate suggestions and tips for options for public transportation in resort cities across the US.

1 Like

We just produced travelability summit and the speaker from google maps showed everyone how to access wheelchair transportation options in 24,000 cities. Go to settings in gmaps and click accessibility and the accessibility options will show everywhere.

2 Likes

For the past five years, I have rented a scooter when I travel. It is delivered to the hotel and picked up there. That way I do not have to worry that the airlines will scratch, dent or bend mine. At the airport, the airlines meet me at the door of the car with a wheelchair and deliver me to the gate. At least Southwest and Delta provide this service.

1 Like

Just went to this site. Very good!!! Thanks for telling us about it!

Gloria

1 Like

Hi hi! It definitely depends on where you’re headed as public transportation can vary so much around the country. My first thought would be to look into the bus system in the area you’re traveling to. I live in Austin, TX, and the entire bus system is very accessible here. And, in addition to the buses, they have a service called MetroAccess.

MetroAccess is a demand-response, shared-ride service for people whose disabilities prevent them from riding our other bus and rail services. In Austin, the service is meant for people who live here, as there is an approval process you must go through. However, I would imagine this wouldn’t be the case in all cities.

I agree on the Google Map front! Can be very helpful to understand accessibility of restaurants, museums, coffee shops, etc. This information is usually self-reported, which means it’s not fact checked. Usually is accurate, just something to be mindful of!!

1 Like

Hi members, it’s Pinky :sweat_smile: :fairy: again; your friendly neighborhood Spider…I mean Forum moderator’s. I can see you have already gotten some great responses from our members, but I wanted to share a short list of locations that are Fabulous, accessible places to visit in the U.S.; each for its own reasons.

Much props to my online travel hero Cory Lee for putting this list together:

• Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, Alabama
  • Honolulu, Hawaii
  • Key West, FL
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Park City, UT
  • San Antonio, TX
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Seattle, WA
  • St. Augustine, FL
  • Washington D.C.

As you can tell, this a pretty diverse list of places to visit; but I trust my friend Cory that he has thoroughly vetted all of these locations for ease of travel. You gave us a pretty broad question to help with, so I apologize this may not be exactly the type of vacation spots your thinking of. If there are some specific area’s your interested in or could give a little better description of what type of places you like to visit, please let us know and we can do a more detailed search for you of that region.

I hope this helps get you started? Also check out the surrounding cities around these locations as they are all very close to other great places to visit too.

Thank you for coming to the Forum and we look forward to helping you make your travel dreams come true.

• Keep on traveling everyone; It’s our world too! :wheelchair: :earth_americas:

• -Pinky :fairy: :kissing_heart: