Rental Car question

Does anyone have advice about renting a car when you are traveling with a wheelchair? I will be traveling to Seattle in late September with a ultra lightweight wheelchair with a power assist device that is foldable but will also have luggage for myself and my travel companion. How do you rent a car and let the agency know what you need? I am an ambulatory wheelchair user, I just tend to fall a lot due to a genetic condition so the w/c is more for safety.
We want to rent a regular car and not take away a handicapped accessible vehicle from someone who really needs it but we need an appropriate amount of room for the wheelchair without having to rent an SUV or Truck. Would a regular car be big enough for a foldable wheelchair?

2 Likes

You can always upgrade to a sedan. The Cadillacs have great storage space as do other 4 door models

2 Likes

I have a foldable wheelchair. The economy and compact are too small, you can’t get the wheelchair in.

The intermediate works. I also have a 95 pound service dog. We can get my husband, myself, dog, 2 large luggage, 1 small and backpack in intermediate. It is tight though. The standard is perfect for us.

1 Like

Get a midsize to a full size and you should have plenty of room… from what you stated about your condition it does not appear that you need hand controls to operate the pedals, which makes it much easier. The only time you need to inform the company ahead of time is if you need hand controls to safely operate the pedals.

3 Likes

We always rent a full size car, and specify NOT a hybrid (because the batteries are in the trunk and can’t fit luggage or wheelchair).

3 Likes