Renting power chair for cruses

Hello, I’m Thelma. Hope everyone is good and travels have gone well. I’m going on my first cruise this month I’m wanting to rent either a power chair or scooter. Anyone ever rented from scootaround out of Orlando? Or is there a recommended place to use? Also which is better? I’d prefer a chair over a scooter. Im a little skeptical as the handicap room door is 35 inches with door or 0.90mt chair is 25in and the scooters are 22 inches. So confusing.

1 Like

I can’t speak about rentals. I am familiar with access on Royal Caribbean cruises. For an accessible room, either will fit. It is easier to use a wheelchair over a scooter. Throughout the ship, either is fine. Again though, a wheelchair has a shorter length than a scooter making it easier to maneuver some spaces such as the public restrooms and some shops.

2 Likes

I have rented a scooter from Scootaround in Miami. The price was extremely reasonable, and they delivered it right to my stateroom. I can see where a chair would be more maneuverable, but the scooter was fine. Bon Voyage!

2 Likes

We used special needs at sea group. https://www.specialneedsatsea.com . They have a variety of chairs and scooters and also deliver to your stateroom . If you have an accessible room the doors are made wider so that all will fit. My husband is a big guy and gets a bariatic scooter which they deliver to the cabin.

2 Likes

Hello. I rent from Scootaround many ,many times all over the world. Always handy, reasonable and good equipment. I have rented out of Orlando/Cape Canivale last October for a Mardi Gras cruise. Because of CoVid you get your scooter after you drop off your luggage and before you go in the terminal. Handicap rooms have that big door and easily accommodate a power chair or big scooter. The door to your cabin has automatic door openers and the handicap public bathrooms are set up for ease of use for a power chair or scooter. Here are a couple different handicap rooms on Carnival ships. Enjoy your cruise and have fun.
![image|666x500](upload://dvSLt5XgpEdXK2eGbOxuRqXmgJa

.jpeg)

1 Like

Here is a better picture of the 35 inch entrance to the cabin open by automatic button.

2 Likes

Hi, I am going on a cruise (Royal Caribbean) next week. I contacted the Accessibility Department for bedding accommodations and they went ahead and also referred me to the following, for rentals (Scootaround being one):

Scootaround (formerly Care Vacations): 1-888-441-7575 or 1-204-982-0657
Special Needs at Sea: 800-513-4515

Have an amazing time!

1 Like

Hi. I use a power chair for my travels and have had no issues getting through the door in accessible cabins. The last several trips were on Carnival. Although I have been told that many of their ships have the push button access, I have yet to find one (5 ships so far) making it impossible to get in the room unaided which could be a safety issue. In spite of that I thoroughly have enjoyed each trip! So, I encourage everyone cruising to ask if they have the push button access, and cruise on!

1 Like

I am a frequent cruiser and I use Special Needs at Sea. I love the fact I can start wherever and end wherever. Gir example; I did a 22 day Panama Canal cruise starting in Ft. Lauderdale and ending in Seattle. My scooter and its charger was waiting on me in my stateroom (my choice, or you can have it delivered for you to use to get on the ship). I am a Holland America fan and their facilities onboard are fabulous and their crew members are so helpful in gstting off and back on the ship. In all of my many cruises there was only one port thst I was unable to get off the ship and it was a safety issue. The port had extremely low water and the angle of the gang plank was at a very extreme angle and the crew did not feel it was safe for me to try to take my scooter down for fear it would just “take off” and become uncontrollable and in reverse they did noy believe the motor would be sufficient yo get it back up the ramp. They had few people disembark that day and those that did had to literally hand over hand pull thrmselves back up the gang plank. Some por5s require the use of tenders to take passengers to the pier because they cannot accommodate large.cruise ships. There was a special effort to make accessibility early for me. The rental folks pick up my scooter and charger wiyhout me having to worry about it. Special Needs at Sea has all sizes of scooters and chairs and they will work with you to bring you whichever mobility hrlper you need. The rental is based on a per day fee and the fee per day decreases the longer your cruise. Check out their website www.specialneedsatsea.com. I always use them and have never been disappointed. I would highky recommend you pack a power strip in your luggage so that you can use it to plug in your charger. Most staterooms don’t have multiple electric outlets and once plugged in your powrr strip can allow your charger and any electronic devices to be chsrged. I always charge my scooter overnight while I sleep and I have never tun out of power. Also scooters are easy to maneuver in the dining areas and most large areas such as theaters have handicapped seating areas. Enjoy your trip
I am currently cruise shopping for thr first of 2023.

1 Like

I rented from scootaround. They were great and delivered and picked up to and from our accessable room. The scooter was great as I could go anywhere on the ship. The room had a push button to let me in and out. People were polite and kind. Had a great time on Norweign Escape.

Thank you very helpful I’m cruising msc

Im cruising msc divina its my first cruise ever. So excited. Thank you for the info.

I have not rented out of Orlando but just got back from a cruise out of Seattle. I rented a scooter from Scootaround. It was delivered to my cabin on ship and they picked it up after cruise. It went in the door just fine. It was the best money I spent for the cruise.