Safari options that are accessible for an electric wheelchair

From a member of our community:

I’m looking for safaris for someone who is disabled in electric wheelchair
thx

Hi Sam! I’m an older woman in a power chair and I want to be able to go somewhere with as little help as possible. At first I was thinking about riverboat travel to the east coast. But since weather is a big part of how I do things I wondered what you could tell me about that and rail travel.

Hi, thanks for reaching out!
We recently posted an article about cruising and an incredibly informative post by one of our knowledgeable moderators, Pinky.

Also, in the past we’ve had a great discussion about rail travel on the forum that I recommend reading.

Hi! This is Pinky :fairy:, one of your Forum Moderators here at AccessibleGo.

I have to really Thank You for your question, because you truly opened up my mind :brain:to a whole new type of travel that I had never considered for myself until you asked your question. Plus I really admire your bravery; I am still personally fearful of large cats :lion: :tiger2:… but working on it now.

So, I was nervous I was going to have to come back and tell you that I struggled to find anything for you; however what I found truly blew my mind :exploding_head:. I found stuff for you in so many countries in Africa and I am sure if I had kept going, I could have sent you twice as many listings. Now I did want you to know that although I searched for wheelchair accessible safari’s, I can only confirm right now that I saw photos of electric chairs :man_in_motorized_wheelchair: in two of these sites. That does not mean the others can not accommodate, but they aren’t being specific on their site about which types of chairs they can accommodate. If there are any of these that you would like me to follow up on more information for you?.. just let me know; it would be my pleasure to.

To also help your travel planning, I found a website called Go2Africa.com that has an entire Africa Wheelchair Safari Guide they have assembled. (Very impressive amount of information; I would check it out)

Before I get started, please remember that I have not actually tried any of these safari’s and cannot personally endorse any of them. Just wanted to try and get you the best information I could to get started. I’m going to list them by country or region to help you narrow down where you are interested in:

You have lit a new adventure fire :fire: in me and I am so grateful. Can’t wait to hear about how your safari goes (and post us photos). If you need me to follow up with any of those companies about the power chair, just let me know?

:reminder_ribbon:Just want to also remind you that you should check with the State Department’s website for travel and check the specific countries you want to visit. They will provide you with any specific information about dangers you need to be aware of when traveling overseas (infections, vaccine rates, civil or government unrest, other possible dangers). I only mention this because that website has helped save us several times from a few of those things I just listed (and then some); and I want to make sure you come back safe :safety_pin: and tell us all about where we should be dreaming of in Africa. :earth_africa:

• Have a great trip. :flight_departure:

• Keep on traveling everyone; It’s our world too! :wheelchair: :earth_americas:

• -Russell :kissing_heart: