San Francisco

I am an amputee with limited mobility and rely on my mobility scooter to get around. My wife is going to San Francisco for a conference soon and I would like to join her. Is public transportation there accessible. Can we do sight seeing or is there too much walking for her? Any recommendations on hotels?

Having lived in the Bay area before, I çan tell you SF is very “hilly”. Public Transportation is accessible but the city itself is very congested. Having said that, the Piers should be a good site for site seeing.

1 Like

I was just in SF with a rental scooter. City buses are accessible, but taxis and ride-hail service were not. I stayed at Union Square and was able to get around that area on my scooter and even did a walking tour. Good luck!

1 Like

Buses and BART (rapid transit trains) are all accessible. BART is available from both Oakland (OAK) and San Francisco (SFO) airports if you don’t have too much luggage to handle on your own. Accessible non-medical transport is available ($$$) from several companies. We use Quality Care wheelchair transport 510-432-6417.
The City is walkable/rollable, but of course there are several super-steep hills. If you keep to Market Street, Theater and Financial Districts, and The Embarcadero, you’ll be fine. Much to see and do. Theaters (Broadway touring shows) have very good accessible seating, and it is quite affordable (wheelchair seating -and companion- is about $50 vs ~$275 for the seats around you). The shows are high quality. Have a great time!

1 Like