Showers in Hotels

From a community member:

Hello, In my opinion, one of the most important problems in traveling for people with reduced mobility is the showers in the hotels.

People who are paralyzed in the lower limbs, encounter very serious problems with showers that are not suitable for people who are paralyzed and cannot stand without aids.

I would love to know about solutions that this community uses.

2 Likes

Hi. If we are driving somewhere, my daughter rides in her powerchair and we bring the manual chair. With roll in showers, she can simply roll into the shower in the manual and we wash her there. We pack her hoyer to transfer her onto the bed and the toilet. When the hoyer legs can’t go under the bed (frequent issue) we get it as close as we can and both of us push until she is at least partially over the bed. This is the biggest problem. She is prone to fractures so all moves must be done as carefully as possible.

1 Like

Yes, you are so right. My husband is on a wheelchair 24/7 and he cannot use a traditional shower.

The only way that we have been able to shower is to find a hotel that has created a wet bathroom. A shower that that accommodates a wheelchair (no high water barrier),

These are often found in cities where large groups gather for meetings. (San Diego) the large chain hotels usually have one or two per hotel.

It would be helpful if there was a listing of hotels that have roll-in showers

Would you be willing to share with me the hotels/motels you have found? If do, I would start a directory for those of us that use this forum.

Susan Kiely

1 Like

Thanks to the ADA in the US, every hotel we have stayed in the last decade has had at least two accessible rooms with roll-in showers. The showers are not really the issue. My husband is in a power wheelchair and is a quad with a leg amputation. The challenge is the beds. First, bed height can be an issue, and second, as mentioned by another response, many hotel beds are on platforms with no space to properly use a Hoyer lift. We bring a beasy board (transfer slider) for those instances.
We have had good luck with most hotels from Best Western and Holiday Inn up to luxury resorts. We have also had no problem at all with cruise ships.
For example, we recently stayed in the Westgate Las Vegas. The bathroom was enormous, with plenty of room for a chair to roll around and into the shower area. The shower had a fold-down bench, but also room for a wheelchair. It had a rainfall shower head and also a shower wand. The sink was open underneath so a person could roll under it, with a mirror that could extend out for shaving or makeup. There were two queen beds: one with space underneath to use a Hoyer, and the other was lower in height to facilitate easier board or manual transfers. This is probably the best case scenario, as each person has different needs.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this post! Here at accessibleGO we are doing just that, if you search for hotels on our site, https://accessiblego.com/hotels, we have accessibility filters where you can filter for roll in showers. We have covered 6,000 hotels across the US to date. When we have data available, you can search by all different types of features like accessible pools, step free lobby entrance or roll in shower. For cities that we have not yet covered, the filters do not display and you can write to us to cover a city that you are interested in as it benefits everyone. If you have any questions at all, feel free to email us contact@accessibleGO.com and we’ll be happy to help.

1 Like

Hilton properties seem to be the most consistent roll-in showers but those nifty folding benches are too low for long legged people. I would be thrilled to have adjustable height so I could get back up again.

My wife has paralysis in her left side. Showers are our greatest challenge. When showering she needs to stand for a minute or two to get completely clean. Rarely do we find RI showers with vertical grab bars. She can hold on to a horizontal bar, but with great difficulty. Vertical grab bars by the toilet are very helpful as well, some hotels / motels have them. Everyone has different needs and that’s the challenge with trying to establish a suitable standard.

Im visiting in pakistan for month of september, Grateful to find that all showers are roll in with drains on floor and they all have a hand shower next to toilet as well. ( half way down the wall). I find that to be a plus.

I can contribute from my recent experience:
Hotel in Budapest - La prima Fashion
Hotel in Thessaloniki - Electra Palace
In these two hotels, I asked to add a plastic chair so that I could sit while showering. Both responded positively and very kindly.

When I have a problem with a hotel shower design (which is almost always) I provide the management with a copy of this design which shows the relative location of bench, faucet, shower wand, shelf for toiletries. I ask them to consider it for future alterations. An advantage of this design is that the shower wand is offset so when it is spraying toward the bather it is hitting the back wall. Also the bolted bench will not move when you are transferring which shower chairs are liable to do. Please feel free to share it. The biggest problem is that no one enforces ADA design requirements.

Miriam, Are you surveying the hotels or clients? My experience is the hotel will say yes we have a roll-in shower when nothing could be further from the truth.

Thanks Joe! So we’re about to launch a pilot for hotel accessibility certification where there will be pictures or video to show the accessibility features at the property. This will help our community to understand what the experience at a given hotel will be like prior to choosing to book.

1 Like