Travel motorized wheels chairs

I know there has been a lot of information lately on motorized, plane ready wheelchairs but does anyone know of any that are especially good for a very heavy person. We really need one that is at least for 350 pound passenger. Most of the foldable ones seem to be for smaller people. Thanks for any advice.

1 Like

We are very close to purchasing a Fold and Go MagShock which holds up to 400 lbs! https://www.foldandgowheelchairs.com/

3 Likes

I worry about the controller that sticks up when folded being broken on the airlines. Does this happen?
I love the colors. I’ll check out the seat size. I found a couple that say 350-400 then have a 17-18 inch seat.

We were going to rent a scooter for a cruise in Europe but they wanted almost $1000 for 9 days. I figured I may as well buy my own and have it for the rest of the vacation in Paris. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Go to spinlife.com a catalogue for all products for those with mobility issues. Do call on the chatline, there are folks with expertise who will help you decide the best scooter for you.

Regarding concerns about the joy stick breaking off - on my powerchair there is a small lever under the armrest that will allow you to turn the whole arm rest so it is in less danger. My joy stick also screws off, so you could purchase an extra one for just in case.

2 Likes

The joystick disconnects and they recommend you carry it in your bag on the plane. As for seat size, I’m not sure about that. Best wishes on your search!

2 Likes

Look into an Eagle HD - 400 lb. weight capacity and works great. I got mine from Discover Mobility.

1 Like

I have a Fold and Go chair. I fly fairly often and can say that in spite of FAA approval there are still some inconsistencies among airlines. Southwest and Delta allow the batteries to stay in the chair. Alaska requires the batteries to be removed and carried inside the plane. Also, we were told that American Airlines has refused to let some folks take the chairs on the plane.

Fold and Go chairs are comfortable and are great for traveling. The controller needs to be removed (easy), and they sell a cover for the chair that makes it easy for a companion or airline employee to roll, and offers protection for the chair. All in all a great chair.

2 Likes

I own a Mobility Store and would be happy to assist you in finding what your looking for, and get you some fair pricing. Where are you located if you don’t mind me asking. The Eagle HD recommendation is a great chair, and Discovery your Mobility is one we work with. The seat on the Eagle HD is 19" and the joystick removes easily for travel. Rebecca.brown@mobilitycity.com is my email if you would like further assistance.

1 Like

There are several heavy duty travel wheelchairs. Mine is a secondhand Eagle HD from DiscoverMyMobility. About~60ish lbs folded with batteries. To fly you have to remove the batteries & joystick (& cup holder) and the charger pouch underneath the seat. Anything detachable, really. Airlines notoriously “lose” or break stuff that goes with wheelchairs. Print out the folding/opening instructions, laminate the sheet and zip tie it to the back of the chair or attach to the carrying case (mine came with a very nice one)

Doris

| Redd4lfe1 redd4lfe1
March 17 |

• | - |

I know there has been a lot of information lately on motorized, plane ready wheelchairs but does anyone know of any that are especially good for a very heavy person. We really need one that is at least for 350 pound passenger. Most of the foldable ones seem to be for smaller people. Thanks for any advice.

1 Like

Electra is foldable and heavy duty. Zero issues but have never flown with it.

1 Like

If you want to get a travel mobility scooter rather than s chair, the Drive Phoenix can handle 375 lbs snd only weighs 144 lbs and can be broken down for lifting. I currently have a Golden Buzzaround LX which weighs 168 lbs but is very reliable and can break down.

1 Like

Thanks for all of your replies. I ordered the Fold and go. It had the broadest seat, good turn radius, and was waterproof. The girly girl in me loved the color choices. vels everyone.

I also appreciated that the company is owned and employs people who are wheelchair users or aware.

Happy travels!

1 Like