Traveling to California

Hi everyone, question, were traveling to California Los Angeles to see our stepson graduated in May. My husband is a military veteran with PTSD and feet problems, our daughter is Autistic and has other Disabilities ( intellectually delayed,anxiety,auditory and so on) and I’m Blind with mild mobility issues. Any who while we’re in California we would love to take our child to Disneyland! Any suggestions on travel Amtrak vs flying I know you can pack your vehicle on the train just curious if it’s cheaper than flying. And does Disneyland offer discount for people with disabilities like free pass (no waiting) no long line Please give suggestions thanks and Happy New Year’s everyone!!!

1 Like

Regarding going to Disneyland and California Adventure: There is an office on Main Street in Disneyland where they will authorize you as ADA. People with the ADA identifiers can access certian attractions via a seperate enterance avoiding the extreemly long lines in Disneyland. California Adventure adventure also recognises the ADA identifiers, however not all of the attractions have the “back door” My daughter just went to Disneyland and California adventure this week with a friend who needs to travel with a scooter. They enjoyed Disneyland because of the ADA passes but were very disappointed with California Adventure because it was very crowded and the attractions with out the special entrance meant waiting in line for a long time. If you go knowing the situation, you will have fun, must be patient.

1 Like

Military disabed, get discounted Disneyland tickets through Camp Pendleton MWR office.

1 Like

thanks very helpful will do

does that go for only Pendleton or is that for all military camps

Disneyland now offers the ADA pass in advance of arriving. Go on their website and set up an appointment and then they will call you. It takes about ten minutes and no standing in line to get the pass when you first arrive. You may want to set it up for all three of you since there may be rides that not all three of you want to ride and the holder of the pass must always ride in order to use the line bypass system.

We have used Amtrak to travel within California between cities and that worked very well with our mobility issues. We have never travelled great distances so I can’t speak for that.

Thanks ill look into that

Have not been to Disneyland but to Disney World dince being disabled abd the Disney folks were really super to me and to my family. There have been some issues

1 Like

Have not been to Disneyland but to Disney World since becoming disabled but the Disney cast members were very helpful to me and to my family. There have been some issues with people pretending to be disabled to have the benefit therefore they initiated the ADA certification. They were super to take us in the “back door” and my scooter was always ready for me when the ride was over. They had the means that allowed my scooter to go onto the monorail, the train, the bus around Animal Kingdom, etc. Very accommodating in all of their restaurants we visited.

1 Like

Thanks I’m definitely calling Disneyland

Should be applicable at any MWR office. I tried another base, but got a better deal at Pendleton. They FEDX overnite the tickets to me.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll tell my husband. I appreciate your help

I take it that you are not from California; going to arrive in Los Angeles by plane and rent a car? I’m certain Disneyland will bend over backward for you. Do your homework online @ their website. Very pricy, you must get a discount! AMTRAK Surfliner is the best way to see CA. Go business class only (it’s handicapped). I have never seen them load a car. I would avoid a vehicle altogether!!! The traffic here is crazy. Parking is rarely free! Nerve-racking for everyone. Take those kids to the San Diego Zoo. Rent a scooter for your husband and yourself. Uber or Lift it. Have fun, kick back, and enjoy! :dove:

1 Like

Thank you sounds like Austin Texas lol I’m blind so renting a scooter is out my child can’t handle the Zoo due to her disability she’s Autistic and that’s one her triggers so many different smells of the animals in the Zoo gets to her. As far as my husband goes he leads us so both i oh f his hands needs to be free or at least one my daughter doesn’t understand what being Blind really means she depends on me leading her when her dad isn’t around and when we’re together she relies on both of us for guidance. So much she doesn’t understand she functions on a 4 year old level. However we do have family members who live near Disneyland but we were thinking more of a hotel Disneyland resort they have shuttles I believe, but differently I will do my homework!!! Thanks perhaps we’ll just stay at relatives and have them pick us up and drive us around and avoid Disneyland altogether lol wow didn’t realize it was that expensive lol thanks again

1 Like