Traveling with Mobility Scooter

From a member of our community:

Just wondering if you have an idea how to get my Mobility Scooter :motor_scooter: on a plane etc., bus, etc.
Thanks,

H this is Russell, one of the moderators for the forum. Thank you so much for your question and would be happy to help assist you with some information.
First, would you mind letting me know which airline you plan to be traveling on?(each airline has slightly different rules for scooters).
Second, can you let me know what type of scooter you are traveling with? (Also affects some rules)
Lastly, for the Bus, car, transportation question; is there a specific area you are asking about or just in general how it works?

Thank you for helping us with the additional information so that we can get you the best data for your trip.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Russell (aka Pinky)

I have taken my mobility scooter on the airplane many times. It’s not necessary to take it apart. You should know what kind of battery you have and double check with the airline. Depending on where you live and what airline you’re on, there may be different requirements. What you do is ride your scooter to the door of the plane. They will take it and put it in the luggage compartment. You don’t have to walk on to the plane. If you need help you should talk to the airline ahead of time. When you get off they will bring the scooter back up to the door beside the plane to give it to you. I only have one airline that wanted lots more information and that was the Australian airline who wanted all kinds of measurements and weight as well as battery type.

Sue
Stay safe and stay well.

Just check it as luggage. Or if you need it in the airport just gate-check it when you are ready to board. Either was it’s free.

Joel

I took mine to Alaska and back. Did a 2 week trip, one on board Holland America ship and 2nd week on Holland America (HAL) owned bus and train. I needed mine to be able to get around onboard ship and for distance. Had a young man (35-ush) who was paraplegic and confined to a super power chair full time. Traveling with wife and child about 6 or 7 hears old plus a caregiver. The cruise line was able to accommodate his power chair on bus from ship’s terminal to hotel for 1st night. Bus had elevator towards rear wheel, passenger side that lifted him and chair up and tgen regular passenger seats were compressed and his chair was locked into place. The reverse occurred at hotel. Bus took us from hotel to train next morning. The train had a small elevator towards rear of railroad car. It lifted his wheelchair and passenger onto first level of train. On that level was handicapped restroom and an accessible restaurant serving all 3 meals. Then a second elevator took his chair and him to the second level with front and back seating. Once again they were able to secure his chair to the floor. There was only one place we visited that he and his chair and me and my chair were unable to go. It was something to do with the mining of silver and it was at the mill itself and the liability was too much.

The very first stop our ship made was too dangerous for me and my scooter…the tide was so low the gangplank was at such a steep angle the employees said no. Glad I didn’t try as people who did make it off were having a really tough time getting back on the ship.

I took both my rollator style walker and my scooter with me and American shipped both as luggage at no cost. They are considered adaptive supplies…I was placed in a wheelchair to get to the plane and my seat. At my hotel I had the scooter to get around and was right back on another plane next day.

Any questions feel free to ask.

K Wright

I fly with mine all the time, you can check it at baggage or at the gate (which is what I do) since it i medical equipment thee should not be any additional charge. I usually call ahead and have them document it on my reservation. It will be waiting for me when I exit the plane, though you my have to wait a few minutes for it.