Type of van that can pull 10k lb trailer

From a community member:

I’d really appreciate it if someone could let me know what type of vans can pull a 10,000 lb trailer and get into parking ramps? Should it be a big van or a truck?

Thank you

Hi there! I’m definitely not the most qualified on all of the details of what would be best, but I am a good researcher. This is what I found!

The Chevrolet Express (and its GMC Savana twin) is a dinosaur of a vehicle: a body-on-frame work van that has seen only evolutionary changes since 1997. Still, if you want a van that can tow, the Express and Savana can’t be beat. With their optional 401-horsepower 6.6-liter V8 engine, they can tow 10,000 pounds as cargo vans and 9,600 pounds as passenger vans.

the GMC Savanna is nothing short of an engineering marvel. It has a towing capacity of up to 10,000 pounds. Even its minimum towing capacity of 5,700 pounds is very impressive in its own right. This conversion van can even out tow many of the trucks on the road today.

Despite this incredible towing capacity, the Savana still achieves up to 17 miles to the gallon, which means fewer stops and more money in your pocket to spend on fun excursions. The price of the base model is a very respectable, making this investment well worth it considering it’s such a versatile vehicle. The conversion van’s towing capacity, combined with its additional storage and seating space, make this vehicle truly deserving of the top spot.

No vehicle comes close to the towing capability of a large pickup truck. After all, that’s one of the areas where pickups excel (and where they compete with each other). Deciphering the byzantine tow ratings of the major pickup truck manufacturers is a dizzying task, but suffice to say the tow ratings for the major players – the Ford F-150, Chevrolet Silverado, Ram 1500 and Toyota Tundra – are currently clocking in somewhere between 11,000 and 13,400 pounds. It’s a moving target and competition ensures it rarely remains static for more than 12 months. The heavy-duty segment can handle trailers weighing 35,000 pounds or more.

Hope this helps!!

I have a 33’ travel trailer with a GVWR of 9,920#. I elected to use a Ford F350 supercrew, shortbed, as my tow vehicle. Know this truck is overkill. But, I wanted a minimum of 20% safety margin. This truck gives it to me, and a lot more, Ordered the truck with ultimate tow package, and heavy duty suspension.

Hi! I know a little bit about this. Are you in a wheelchair? If you are, you are going to need a small, “special education” type of bus, or a transit bus with a lift. They are very expensive. You can get one on an bus auction site. Once you get a bus, you will need a rench to hook up with the trailer. You could turn the bus into a small trailer too. Hope this helps!

J