Using fold-up scooters and different forms of transportation

From a community member:

Does anyone travel by plane or ship? I have a new travel fold-up scooter now. It’s supposed to be airplane accessible. I’m a little concerned about how it all works at airport.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Batteries are the problem.

I am following this intensely because I’m in the market

2 Likes

I have a Golden Buzzaround Carryon Scooter. If handled properly it is easy to use in a plane or boat. You have to remove the lithium battery and carry it onto the plane in a small bag it comes with. The airline safe batteries are only 156 watt hour which depletes fairly quickly so bring a spare battery, if which you are allowed 1, ir 2 batteries total. The tiller up bear the steering handle is the weak point where the plastic breaks inside if too much pressure is put on the handle. That can hapoen when airline personnel roll it by pushing the handle. Some refuse to roll it like a suitcase in the folded position as it is intended to roll. No problem at all on virtually all ships.

2 Likes

Depending on airline, they may allow you to drive to airplane door or put you in wheelchair at check in counter. If you need assistance to your seat they’ll usd an aisle chair.

The gogo scooters have always worked on planes for me. The batteries are safe. I ride it to the door of the plane and then they take it from there. When the planes lands they bring it right back to you. I’ve never had issues. I’m usually first on the plane but then last off waiting for it to come back.

3 Likes

You can ride the scooter up to the door of the airplane but then it needs to go below into the cargo hold. If it has Lithium Ion batteries they need to be taken out and brought into the cabin with you.
Cruise ships would be no problem…

I am interested in knowing how light it is to use and how easy it is to fold up could you tell us the brand. Thank you

Congratulations on traveling again. If the unit folds up to the size of a standard manual wheelchair, it may fit in the wheelchair hold on the plane (This is for larger planes 100 seats or more), otherwise it will have to go in the cargo hold.

1 Like

Most, if not all airlines will accommodate a mobility aid at no extra cost, although you will need to remove the battery and stow it with your carry-on bags during the flight. Check with your specific airline first, to give them advance notice and learn of any particular restrictions (particularly battery type). If you have any layovers during your trip, make sure the airline is on notice to provide a suitable mobility aid during each layover

I have travelled with a lightweight, folding Travelscoot for 10 years. I have always been allowed to ride it to the side of the plane; one gate rep in Orlando let me ride it into the plane before they stowed it with the baby strollers. I do have to carry the ~4 lb lithium battery onto the plane. I have not had to fold the scooter, but I do usually try to cover the handlebars and controller. I usually take off the seat back so cargo workers cannot lift it by the seat back. I let the airline know a day ahead that I am bringing a scooter. I have never been charged for it.

Here in the US, as others have said, you can drive the scooter right to the airplane’s door.

However, when flying to Italy, I had to check the scooter as baggage. The airline supplied a wheelchair and a person to push it, which was kinda nice because I did not have to find my way around the airport. This was especially good at the huge and complicated Charles de Gualle Airport in Paris.

You have to call the airline in advance, they will ask you the weight and dimensions of the scooter, and the battery size. The batteries are a big deal, and you should probably limit yourself to a 160 watt-hour (or less) and 1 spare. Some airlines allow 300 watt-hour, but not all.

I flew Delta / Air France from Boston to Charles de Gaulle, then Charles de Gaulle to Venice. I had to call Air France in France (not USA) to tell them about the scooter. For the return flight, I had to call Air France in both France and Italy because you have to call them in the country where the flight originates. It is a bit of a hassle.

I use a TravelScoot with 2 151 watt-hour batteries. I had to remove the batteries and bring them with me as carry on. They want you to tape the battery connections with electrical tape, but I had Travelscoot’s battery travel case, so I didn’t have to tape the connections. Like I said, the Airlines freak out about the batteries.

I travelled to Hawaii with a Pride Revvo 3wheel scooter. I drove it to the door of the plane and then it was put in the Cargo hold. It has a sealed, lithium ion battery which I did not have to remove. I notified the airline when I booked the flight. Then they called me to get the stats on the scooter.