Visiting family in Dallas TX from Central Florida

Seeking advice for best method of transportation and hotels. My husband and I are new to having to use scooters for travel. We are considering either flying or driving. It’s about 16 hour drive one way. Concerned about airline breaking scooters. Advice on hotels around Plano TX. Any input appreciated. Middle of April 2023. Thanks, Sharon. I called Amtrak and it would take 3 days and 3 trains, so not feasible.

I can walk short distances so when I travel by air I rent a scooter and take my manual wheelchair on the airplane with me. I always ask for wheelchair assist at the airport since some are very large. Most taxis will take a manual wheelchair without much problem as well. Most big cities have scooter rentals. I have never been to Plano so can’t help with that city

1 Like

Thank you very much for your quick response. Appreciated.

I second Sylvia - I rent scooters and have them delivered to my centrally-located hotel. The wheelchair is for anything requiring a taxi or ride. I have traveled by myself, which limits me to the scooter, but most European cities have a small historic core and with good weather, it works with or without the wheelchair. Final tip: nearly every taxi in NYC can handle a scooter. I just rode it up into the back of the cab, and sat there till we got to our destination. Have fun!

1 Like

Thank you very much.

I have traveled with my scooter many times by air. I have had good and bad experiences. All end up as good. It depends on the airline you fly will depend on your experience. If your scooter folds down, will be better. I have had scooters damaged, but it had turned out for the better. If the scooter gets damaged, it is the airlines responsibility to repair or replace it. Just remember, if it is damaged, go directly to the baggage claim office upon arrival at the airport before leaving to file a claim. Not only do they have to repair/ replace it, they have to provide a temporary replacement. Depending on the age, they may end up replacing it with a new scooter of equal or better.

1 Like

I’ve stayed at two Tru Hilton hotels and there were very accessible and spacious rooms and bathrooms. Loos like there is one nearby in Frisco TX.

1 Like

Good information, thanks

1 Like

I would drive and plan ahead to stay at a particular hotel after how many ever hours you want to go. That way, you can call the hotel and make sure it has whatever accommodations you need. And maybe stay in kind of a neat tourist area too. I’ve had my wheelchair broken too many times in the airplanes. Lost once also.

1 Like

If there is a Drury Inn hotel in the area we have had great luck with them. We used to fly a lot with my manual wheelchair but haven’t tried yet with my scooter. We do tend to drive to places more now.