Washington DC Watergate area

I will be needing to travel to the Washington DC area for meetings in the Watergate office complex and would prefer to stay somewhere accessible nearby enough to wheelchair between hotel and Watergate. The actual Watergate hotel looks Uber expensive and rooms don’t seem very accessible. Looking for suggestions!!

1 Like

Stay near the Watergate office if possible. We stay at the Citizen M which is between the riverfront and National Mall. I caution against staying south of the Mall as getting to north of the Mall is all uphill.

The Citizen M is good if you are going to the Mall and Congress though. They do have a nice Accessible room. The beds are set very low. Next time we go I am going to rent a scooter. My battery (husband) is wearing out.

1 Like

Don’t know if you have this.
To reserve a trip on a wheelchair accessible taxi vehicle, you have three options:

1. Call one of the two taxi companies that offer accessible taxis in DC:
  • Royal Taxi: 202-398-0500
  • Yellow Paratransit: 202-544-1213
  1. Reserve a taxi conline at:
  1. Install the mobile app, Taxi Magic, at http://taximagic.com/en_US

How to place a request

1. Tell the call-taker that you need a wheelchair accessible taxi.
  2. Give the call-taker your pick-up and drop-off information, as needed for all taxi trips.
  3. Choose a pick-up location where you can access the street. This could be your closest street intersection with curb-cuts or sidewalk ramps, or a location with a driveway. Since the vehicles wheelchair ramp is positioned at the rear of the vehicle, you must board the taxi from the street level.
  4. Give the call-taker any additional information or special instructions that will help the driver find your pick-up location and provide your taxi trip.

Do I have to reserve this service in advance?

You can request immediate service but it is recommended that you reserve a trip at least an hour or two in advance because there are a limited number of wheelchair accessible taxis. You may also reserve your trip a day or two in advance or even a week in advance.

What are the service hours?

24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

What type of service is it?

D.C. accessible taxi service operates like traditional taxi service, providing curb-to-curb service. The taxi driver will help you get on and off the vehicle if needed. If you need help beyond this, you may want to bring someone else along to assist you.

What are the rates or special charges for this service?

The rates for accessible taxi service are the same as for traditional taxi service; there is no extra charge for the accessible taxi. Between the hotel and Capitol Hill or locations downtown the fare will usually be between $15-22.

Can other passengers travel with me on the accessible taxi?

Yes, the accessible taxi vehicles can fit 3 to 4 additional passengers beyond a passenger using a wheelchair. According to the regulated D.C. taxi fares, extra charges apply when traveling with additional passengers six years of age and older.

Related Content:

Reporting Taxicab and Vehicle-For-Hire Discrimination

1 Like

Hi Jeannekc, I’m Pinky :fairy:; one of your Forum Moderator’s. I saw your posting about needing to find an Accessible room near the Watergate that’s within rolling distance still. I think I have a few very diverse options that might be more affordable for you than staying at the Watergate (even though that sounds so cool to stay at…lol). I have not personally been to these hotels; I usually stay at the other end of the mall when testifying to congress; but familiar with the brands.

1. ARC Hotel - Formerly the George Washington University Inn, it has been totally revamped and now a modern boutique hotel; just a block and a half to the Watergate.

2. Residence Inn Washington D.C. Foggy Bottom - If your a person who likes consistency with chain hotels, this hotel will not disappoint.
    Very modern and also a block and a half from the Watergate.

3. Hotel Hive - If your willing to venture 2.5 blocks, I found an adorable boutique hotel that offers, “… 4 accessible rooms available located on our main ground floor near the lobby. Room types offered are our Buzz Twin , Hive Bunk and Hive Queen.” This hotel tries to offer more affordable price points with different smaller style hotel rooms and more larger common areas.

All 3 of these hotels are in a great location with National Mall and Lincoln Memorial just a few blocks away. Just a warning if you are coming in August; It’s HOT and HUMID like I can’t even explain. So if you choose to explore outdoors and not use taxi’s for getting around (I use the Accessible Lyft in D.C.), make sure to stay nice and hydrated and cool.

Let me know if these don’t work for you and can get you some more ideas. There are more hotels as you go towards the White House direction (away from Watergate), but they tend to be on the higher end price range (Fairmont, Melrose, Westin, Etc…). We are also happy to help set you up with one of the folks from AccessibleGo if you need help securing a room at a discounted price? They will handle making sure you get the accessible room type you need if available; or help you find an alternative option.

Can’t wait to hear how your trip went and if everything worked out for your visit? D.C. is a very wheelchair friendly city due to ADA laws; which as you probably already know, can make a world of difference when traveling.

I’m here for you if you need anything else.

-Pinky :fairy: